+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Hi OP. Congratulations on your little one. It sounds like you are doing a great job and doing all the right things to encourage supply. Just a few little things..... What dose of Dom are you taking? Dr Jack Newman recommends 3 tablets 3 times per day. This is usually a much higher dose then other dr prescribe but dr Newman is THE breastfeeding expert. Look him up. Also look up his advice regarding breast compression. You basically massage/squeeze your breast while bub is feeling and it has been shown to significantly increase the amount of milk they get during that feed.
    For me, drinking plenty of water makes a big difference in my supply.
    Are you eating lactation cookies? They might not have a huge difference but they are yum! Send the recipe to your bestie for her to make them for you!!!
    Good luck. Xxx
    I'm having 1 tablet 3x per day, so does Dr Newman recommend 9 tablets in total? I've made myself apricot and dark choc lactation cookies. So yum! I also add Brewers yeast and oats to my banana smoothies just in case it does do something. I'll give the massage a go next time Bub has a feed. Oh and I drink so much water. At least 3 litres a day so I'm well and truly hydrated

I expressed after the advice on this post after Bub had her feed this morning and I got a good 10mls. I've saved it in the fridge so I'm hoping I can get a whole feed by this time tomorrow 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just looked him up, he sounds like he knows what he is on about. I'll increase the domperidone and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

RedCreamingSoda  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have a double or single pump? When I switched from pumping one boob at a time to two, my combined milk output immediately doubled (it was only from 10 to 20mL at first!), the midwife said it was because by stimulating both nipples at once you're releasing twice as much oxytocin so they both end up giving more.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

A&S  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My milk came in on Day two, then disappeared and came back again on day 5.
    Days 3-5 were horrid. I was convinced she was starving, and the NICU team were a bit concerned too (she needed surgery later so they wanted to make sure she gained/kept weight) so we gave formula once during the day and once overnight (also meant I could sleep) and BAM milk came in hard.

Now, we are on Day 19 and my milk is up and down.
    I was pumping after each feed but its too time consuming and literally nothing else was getting done and she eats every 2.5 hours- I couldn't even shower!
    So we have kept up one formula feed a day (H does it in the evening before bed), and the rest is breast. She seems content enough- rarely spews.
    She is a bit constipated at the moment, but I was warned that would happen after the surgery and antibiotics.

Hang in there!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

A&S  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    Do you have a double or single pump? When I switched from pumping one boob at a time to two, my combined milk output immediately doubled (it was only from 10 to 20mL at first!), the midwife said it was because by stimulating both nipples at once you're releasing twice as much oxytocin so they both end up giving more.
    I have the Medela double swing and always do both breasts at once.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    I have the Medela double swing and always do both breasts at once.
    Good stuff, I'm all out of advice because you're already on it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @deku. I've done as much reading and research as possible because I was so desperate to breast feed. I guess it's just great to know that it's worked for others in the same situation

Thanks
    Reviews

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

A&S  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you consider a sns? They can seem tricky but I Eve you get the hang of it it will cut down on your feeding time (because you won't have to give a bottle but baby will spend more time stimulating your breast.

Good luck. You are doing so well doing all this. I am totally cheering you on and I hope in a few weeks it will all be worth it and feeding will be a breeze. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for typos.... I'm feeding two babies while typing.......