+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Waiting on my milk

So it's been 2.5 weeks since my gorgeous girl was born. Unfortunately I had a very traumatic emergency Caesarian and PPH which stopped my milk from coming in.

I was started on domperidone, I take fenugreek and eat lactation cookies. I feed my girl constantly during the day to try and boost my supply and and at night I offer the breast and then top up with formula. I also pump just to stimulate every so often.

I'm doing absolutely everything I can think of and I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in the same or similar situation and been able to fully breast feed eventually?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a similar situation with DS1. It took 10 days for my milk to come in, I was advised to pump after every feed, around the clock.

My routine went something like:
    Attempt to breastfeed DS
    Top him up with any EBM (DH)
    Top him up with formula (DH)
    Pump as much as possible

I did this every feed and made sure he didn't go more than 3 hours between feeds, even if we had to wake him.

It was hard and needed full cooperation from DH to take him straight after a feed so I could pump etc, but a few days of this worked for me. However I got in a little earlier so may be different now your Bub is 2.5 weeks, as they need more etc.

I was told we have 6 weeks to properly establish BF so don't give up just yet. However the earlier you can fix it the better, so you're doing the right thing getting into it early. Have you hired a private lactation consultant? We found this invaluable. It wasn't expensive and we only needed one home visit. I also continued pumping a few times a day for months as I was always paranoid I didn't have enough milk.

Keep up the good work, it's so hard you're doing great all things considered!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

A&S  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much. I'm glad your supply picked up, hopefully I'll have the same success story. I never imagined myself formula feeding so it's been a bit difficult emotionally at times and then throw in the stupid hormones on top!
    I'm definitely finding that she's a lot hungrier lately and is needing more and more day time top ups. But she is feeding at the breast for a lot longer and getting less frustrated so that's a good sign. I'll definitely try pumping after feeds and get hold of a lactation consultant.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had a somewhat similar experience, although my milk came in normally, DS wouldn't eat so supply quickly dropped. By the time he was 2 weeks old (and had spent a week in hospital) I was on a strict routine of no less than 3-hourly feeds (ugh having to set an alarm in the night!). He had to feed from both sides, then have as much EBM as I could give him, then I'd immediately pump as much as I could get, ready for the next feed. Top up with formula if I couldn't get enough EBM, but luckily we only had to do that a couple of times (I didn't want to have to deal with the hassle of formula as well!)
    All of which took about 2 hours, leaving me 1 hour to sleep until the next feed…
    Plus domperidone 3x daily, drinking lots of water, trying to eat well.

We gradually weaned off the pumping over a couple of months, from 8 times/day to 4 to 2 to 0. But I ended up needing domperidone until about 10 months, I very slowly weaned off it once DS was having more solids.

Honestly, the first few months were awful!! I was absolutely adamant that I was going to breastfeed so stuck with it, but I could totally understand why people with low supply switch to formula, especially if they don't have support from friends/family/ABA/etc.
    I'm so glad I did though, feeding was easy and stress free by about 5-6 months and we're still going strong almost 2 years later

Agree with seeing a lactation consultant if you can, or getting in touch with you local ABA group - I found they were great for moral support.

You're doing so well, it sucks to have trouble feeding on top of a traumatic birth It might take a little while yet but I hope it all settles into place for you soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh also - your milk making hormones are naturally highest overnight and first thing in the morning, so if you're up - that's the best time to pump to both build supply and get extra EBM on hand

7. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

A&S  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Exactly what I did with my daughter however I had retained placenta. Unfortunately it didn't pick up for me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

A&S  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay another question... I get about 5 drops when I express. The maximum I've ever gotten from both breasts combined was about 5 mls. What do you do with it? Do you add your formula on top, just drizzle it into bubs mouth? I would love to have enough to use EBM top ups but that's just not possible at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same thing. Took five and a half weeks for me 😳

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

A&S  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP. Congratulations on your little one. It sounds like you are doing a great job and doing all the right things to encourage supply. Just a few little things..... What dose of Dom are you taking? Dr Jack Newman recommends 3 tablets 3 times per day. This is usually a much higher dose then other dr prescribe but dr Newman is THE breastfeeding expert. Look him up. Also look up his advice regarding breast compression. You basically massage/squeeze your breast while bub is feeling and it has been shown to significantly increase the amount of milk they get during that feed.
    For me, drinking plenty of water makes a big difference in my supply.
    Are you eating lactation cookies? They might not have a huge difference but they are yum! Send the recipe to your bestie for her to make them for you!!!
    Good luck. Xxx

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

A&S  (15-03-2016)

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Hi OP. Congratulations on your little one. It sounds like you are doing a great job and doing all the right things to encourage supply. Just a few little things..... What dose of Dom are you taking? Dr Jack Newman recommends 3 tablets 3 times per day. This is usually a much higher dose then other dr prescribe but dr Newman is THE breastfeeding expert. Look him up. Also look up his advice regarding breast compression. You basically massage/squeeze your breast while bub is feeling and it has been shown to significantly increase the amount of milk they get during that feed.
    For me, drinking plenty of water makes a big difference in my supply.
    Are you eating lactation cookies? They might not have a huge difference but they are yum! Send the recipe to your bestie for her to make them for you!!!
    Good luck. Xxx
    I agree with this I had to have this many tablets for my supply to increase, plus Lactation cookies feeding, feeding and feeding and pumping, pumping and more pumping...

Most Dr's in Australia don't seem to realise that more tablets are needed for supply for some of us...