+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default how long did it take to toilet train your child?

How long from the start until they started going on their own? And what age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't fussed about toilet training until DS1 was 3. He actually decided to go nappy free on his own a month prior. Freaked me out because I wasn't ready! He had it down pat within 2 weeks. So I foolishly thought "3 years is when you start" after reading an article about the issue that said something along the lines of "start at 2, finish at 3. Start at 3, finish at 3". Right, well DS2 didn't read that rule. His 3rd birthday came and went and he just wouldn't be in undies. Eventually 4 months after he turned 3 I was freaking out that he won't be toilet trained by the time he started preschool at 3 years and 5 months! So I just stopped buying nappies. I told DS2 there were no nappies. And I started bribery. Jelly beans every time he used the toilet (#1 and #2). He had it by the end of the day. Cheeky little thing. Moral of the story (from the mouth of my wonderful MIL) do whatever works.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Camper For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My eldest who is turning 6, just one day said to me at 3yo that he didn't want to wear a nappy anymore. We put undies on him that day and night. We had have one accident ever.

My 4yo son we have been trying to train for over a year but he keeps regressing with it. He has special needs and massive anxiety so we have backed off for now.

I am a boy to start toilet training my 3yo daughter. Which I'm not sure how it will go because her older brother won't.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS turned 3 yesterday. We started toilet training on monday last week. By today a week later he is telling us when he needs to go and hasnt had an accident since thursday.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default how long did it take to toilet train your child?

It's been a long and still ongoing process here. Dd1 turned 3 6 weeks ago. I think it's harder when they are older- not so eager to please, a bit lazy and a lot more defiant.

Started off with pantless at the beginning of the warm weather, so late spring? Happily took herself to the potty for wees. Occasional accidents when distracted.
    A lot of accidents when wearing underpants initially- this has now resolved.
    Only just doing poos on potty now.
    Only recently going accident free at nap times.
    Still mostly refuses to sit on a toilet so in nappies for outings and bed.

It's a long tiresome process here!

Eta- we use lots of bribery here!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS took a few weeks to be day trained, and was night trained maybe six months later. I waited with him though...he was maybe almost 3. We tried at about 2 and he just didn't seem ready so I left it. I think if we had persisted then it would have been a long frustrating ride for everyone.
    But when he was a bit older he was trained really quickly and with very few dramas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids were TT from 16-18ish mths old but needed help to remove clothing, get on the toilet and wipe their bum. But I do count it as TT as I didn't require nappies during the day. Yes they had the odd accident esp if I couldn't get them to the loo on time. But that was more my fault for not sourcing toilets quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS started using the toilet just before 2 (he was in a pull up but would wee in a toilet most of the time) but became super determined to stay in nappies when his baby brother arrived. 2 months before he turned 3 I put him in undies much to his disgust and wouldn't budge - he was ready and had been for a long time. He wet his pants a couple times that day but from the following day he has never had an accident. He also night trained at the same time - again never an accident. He was super easy and even at the start I've never had to remind him. I've always wondered if he had of continued using the toilet from 2 if it would have been a long drawn out process.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started with DD at 2 years and 4 months because we wanted to start in warm weather. She mostly had it down in a few weeks, but it took a good few months before I was confident taking her out without a pull up or insisting she go to the toilet first....largely cause she was freaked out by public toilets. She then regressed when her brother was born, but was back to being extremely reliable within a few months. Now at 3.5 I only ever ask her to try the toilet before very long drives and sleeping. Accidents are extremely rare, and only when she's really caught up in something...plus she cleans them up herself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We wanted to wait until DS was well and truly ready do that meant he was 3. It took 3 days.