+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    I have some black mould on ceilings that I need to clean.
    Can anyone recommend some good products? Thanks.
    I spray with Exit Mould. That's it, no washing wiping or rinsing required. Works every time. Just make sure you don't have any linen etc beneath that the spray might settle onto- it is bleach after all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No washing, wiping, rinsing - I like the sound of that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    So it sounds like some of us are better cleaners than others in here, so why not help out hopeless cleaners such as myself with your tips and tricks....

I have 2 issues. 1st my cooktop. How do I get it back to stainless steel?

2nd, clothes that go in the wash not exactly dirty (just worn) but come out with what appears to be oily stains which don't come out in subsequent washes.

Can anyone help? Anyone else have tier own cleaning dilemmas they need help solving?
    I would try Gumption on the stove top. I have a kitchen cloth like this.
    http://www.vileda.com/au/2in1-magic-cloth-3579.html

It has a rough side that is great for scrubbing. It got my stove clean almost clean and it was way worse than yours. Steel wool is good, but is more abrasive and will probably leave scratches. I've heard (but not tried) that cream of tartar and vinegar is better than bicarb and vinegar for cleaning and will lift gunk off a stove top.

A trick I used to do before kids, was make a paste of bicarb and water and leave it on say the bottom of the oven or the stovetop for a week. The baked on cr@p just wiped away. With kids, there is no way I could have the oven or stove out of action for a week.

The grease stains sound like they are coming out of the washing machine. Use washing up detergent to get the grease stains off the clothes. I've never had a washing machine do that before, and I'm not sure running vinegar through a wash will fix it. Vinegar will get built up gunk out of pipes. I would have thought, grease stains were a symptom of a mechanical problem.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spinoff: solve your cleaning issues here

Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    A cream cleanser (eg Jiff) can work well on greasy cook tops or fingerprints on walls as it has mild abrasive properties.

Best tip ever - clean your oven racks and grill tray by soaking them in a sink or bath in a hot, strong solution of napisan (or similar). Straight hot water from the tap is fine. Leave to soak for a couple/few hours. If they are v bad you might need to do it twice but it's no where near as caustic and smelly as oven cleaner!! (Note: a drop of oven cleaner on polished hardwood floor eats straight through the finish )
    I found out how bad oven cleaner was once when I accidentally put my elbow on the oven door while cleaning it. Yep are right through my skin 😭😭

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spinoff: solve your cleaning issues here

For oven I was skeptical but it worked! Shinny clean. I soak the trays overnight too.

Just get a box of bicarb, add water and make a paste and coat the walls and inside door. On the bottom you can actually just sprinkle the bicarb and pour on a bit of water and vinegar. If you put the bowl of hot vinegar in too if sort of steams it. Before I wipe it out next day i spritz it all with white vinegar as I find it then fizzes away the rest of the bicarb and easy to wipe out. Might depend on how bad your oven is but I was surprised how clean mine came up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=npfg6rcLaOQ
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 14-03-2016 at 20:25.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    Gonna do this tonight before I go to bed!

How much Napisan do you think?
    I use our bath to do it as the laundry sink is too small. It's only about a 3/4 size bath and I put only enough water to cover the items. I would probably put about a cup of napisan in. The stronger the mixture the better it will work. You will still need to wipe them clean and use a bit of elbow great but much much easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. I used to use Exit Mould on my ceiling, but it came back too quickly. It only bleaches it (turns it white) so you can't see it but it's still there. Vinegar is the best for Mould as it actually kills the spores as well as removing it when wiped and keeps it away for a lot longer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Noms82 For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe I should use vinegar first then exit mould after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noms82 View Post
    Subbing. I used to use Exit Mould on my ceiling, but it came back too quickly. It only bleaches it (turns it white) so you can't see it but it's still there. Vinegar is the best for Mould as it actually kills the spores as well as removing it when wiped and keeps it away for a lot longer
    Exit mould is bleach in a trigger pack. Bleach will kill mould spores. If the mould keeps on coming back it is due to an underlying cause. Look at the ventilation in your roofspace and check for any leaks in the roof.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bleach is my go to chemical for mold. Harsh, but mold is nasty and can trigger asthma attacks in people who have never had any asthma symptoms before (this happened to me 20 years ago). The only time we had to use it in the last few years was a dilute solution on the ceiling of the bathroom via a mop. Gone, never to return for a good few years now.

**Public Service Announcement**
    The reason bi-carb and vinegar react is because vinegar is acidic and bi carb is alkaline (see pH scale). When mixed they give off CO2. If you put some vinegar in a bottle and bicarb into a balloon and then put the balloon over the bottle (being careful not the drop the bicarb into the vinegar) then hold up the balloon so the bi carb falls into the vinegar the reaction will give off CO2 and blow up the balloon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (14-03-2016)