+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Leftie Help

Calling all left handers. DD is 2 1/2 and is looking very much like a left hander. DH and I are both righties. As we start to move into holding pencils, scissors, knives and forks etc I'm after any tips on how to make sure she is doing it right. For instance do you hold your knife and fork in the opposite hands? Copying us might not be that useful. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a leftie and I'm pretty sure I hold eating utensils in the same hands as righties most of the time, except for chopsticks. I was never explicitly taught to hold them differently.
    The only things I can remember being adjusted for me by my mum when I was little was having specific leftie pencil grips (my kindy teacher thought I could be taught to be a rightie) and I wear a watch on my right hand because my mum assumed it would get in the way on my left.
    Everything else I just figured out how to do normally and adjusted to suit without conscious thought

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marshy68 For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (13-03-2016),MrsSS  (13-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm a lefty and I hold my fork in left hand, knife in right hand. aka the "proper" way to eat. I've never used a fork in my right hand as it feels really unco lol.

I do everything with my left dominant hand bar use my calculator at work. I calculate with my right hand and write with the left at the same time. oh and I use my mouse in right hand too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a righty technically but do a lot of things left. I eat with my knife in the left and fork in the right. I always played sports as a leftie, throwing catching batting etc. My 4yo son is a leftie so at the moment I am trying to teach him pencil grip when writing etc which is fine for me. Feels as natural as the right anyway. Teaching things like tilting the paper so his hand doesn't rub etc.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There must be a spectrum of left handed-ness. The only thing I do is write with my LH. Everything else is RH dominated eg all fine and gross motor stuff. OP you might have to wait and see which way your LO does things on a case by case basis.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to My Beloved Ones For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-03-2016),DJ Nette  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Leftie Help

I'm the same as most, I write with my left and I eat like a right hander.....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsSS For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (14-03-2016)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSS View Post
    I'm the same as most, I write with my left and I eat like a right hander.....
    Me too.

I am an oddity in that I write with my piece of paper side on to me and write away from myself. Like 90 degree angle. But I'm a really nice person.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (14-03-2016),MrsSS  (13-03-2016)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Me too.

I am an oddity in that I write with my piece of paper side on to me and write away from myself. Like 90 degree angle. But I'm a really nice person.
    I do that too but I'm right handed. 😊 though I am a weirdo as I do somethings the left-handed way (but not write)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm right handed and apparently eat left - handed. ..I never realized there was a "right" way. I have 2 left - handed children (from 2 right - handed parents) and have never done anything special to assist them except make sure I buy ambidextrous scissors, rather than right handed ones. Everything else they have self-learnt...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Me too.

I used to write like that all the time!!! Still slip into it occasionally, the writing away from me that is!
    I write left handed and play tennins/cricket/golf (pffft I don't play sport but if those pieces of equipment are required it's left handed!!!) But am right handed in every other way. I am actually very uncoordinated left side!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 1st timemama For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (14-03-2016)