+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default WWYD: accommodation doesn't match description.

I'm currently holidaying with the family. I booked a property through Stayz and paid more than I would for a caravan park because I specifically wanted a 3 bedroom property.

We arrived tonight and accessed the property by using a hidden key. Straight away found that that one of the bedrooms was locked so now my 2 big boys have to share. If I had of known this would happen we would have gone to a caravan park.

So WWYD: suck it up or talk to the owner tomorrow? Would you ask for the last bedroom to be unlocked or ask to cancel the booking? Would you be annoyed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would depend on how the property was advertised on Stayz. If it was definitely advertised as a 3-bedder then I would certainly be unhappy and would be seeking to have the 3rd room unlocked.

DH and I are like you, we book properties on Stayz and similar websites based on very specific critera so we would be pretty peeved to arrive and find it didn't match the expectation we had based on its listing.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd contact the owner immediately. I hate it when accommodation doesn't live up to its description!!!

this happened to us a couple of times. once overseas so I left a scathing review on trip advisor (we aired our issues to the owner who didn't seem overly fazed) and another time in noosa. I emailed the owners to give them a few pointers on why, when you request guests remove their own rubbish from the hotel room, you can't really call it 5 star luxury on your website. predictably my email was ignored. needless to say, I won't be returning.

definitely take it up with the owner. you've paid for what was described, why should you settle for less!?

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If it's not what was described, I would say something straight away. It may have been overlooked or an accident.
    They either need to rectify it (unlock the locked door) or they need to give you a discount or refund you so you can go somewhere else.
    The trouble is, at this late stage you may not be able to get something else. It's also inconvenient to pack up and move.
    So I'd probably ask for some kind of discount. Work out what you want, before you speak to the owner or managing agent.
    How they respond would determine the kind of review I would leave for them afterwards.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (13-03-2016),LaDiDah  (13-03-2016),Wise Enough  (13-03-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    If it's not what was described, I would say something straight away. It may have been overlooked or an accident.
    They either need to rectify it (unlock the locked door) or they need to give you a discount or refund you so you can go somewhere else.
    The trouble is, at this late stage you may not be able to get something else. It's also inconvenient to pack up and move.
    So I'd probably ask for some kind of discount. Work out what you want, before you speak to the owner or managing agent.
    How they respond would determine the kind of review I would leave for them afterwards.
    Exactly this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    This

Mod-biscotti is online now Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Contact the owners tonight. It may just be an oversight.

18 months ago we booked a 3 bedroom house in Hobart and we arrived after hours after long flights from Qld to find the third bedroom locked. A quick and polite email and 20 minutes later the owner arrived with apologies, two rather nice bottles of wine and a key and unlocked the bedroom in question.

Make contact. It may just be (an annoying) oversight.
    Good luck

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (13-03-2016),VicPark  (13-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm hoping it's an oversight, contact and see

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We had a similar thing happen to us once we just rang them and they came over straight away and unlocked it and apologized that they forgot to do it before we got there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did it go op

13. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (15-03-2016)