Should I be worried | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Should I be worried

Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    My daughter has low muscle tone which affects her motor skills. She was towards the later end of normal for most milestones, including jumping. Has your DD met other motor milestones within expected ranges? Can she jump on a trampoline?

ETA As to "what are the negatives", I guess it depends on the reason that she isn't jumping yet. There may be no negatives, but there may be related things that present down the track (e.g. Having low muscle tone can impact ability to sit still for long periods at school, writing at school, etc.)
    She's getting better at jumping on a trampoline but it's still 1 foot at a time.

She can't sit still for very long and is very flighty going from one activity to another and pen grip is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    Is it specifically isolated to jumping, or are there other things too? Some things I'd be looking for are: How early did she walk, crawl, start putting words together etc.? What's her pencil and scissor grip like? How does she interact with other children? When you say she does one leg, does that mean she can hop? (I mean a few consecutive hops on one leg?)

Does she go to preschool? I'd ask them whether they're observing any problems. If it really is an isolated issue, I wouldn't be worried. Otherwise, as PP suggested, see an OT.
    There are other things, she can't hold a pencil properly, she can't cut very well (can cut in straight lines but very awkwardly). She crawled and walked earlier than many of her peers but was a late talker. She also has eating issues which I have always wondered if that was because of a texture / sensory thing.

I'm not sure if she can hop on one leg, I'll have to get her to try tomorrow.

She started kindy this year and they're great in that they have a speechie and other experts come in and do assessments on all of the kids then will meet with us in a few weeks to discuss where they are at. They've already picked up on her pencil grip and scissor issues but she's one of the youngest as she has just turned 4. She's also a leftie (so am I, though I can't cut with my left) but other than me has limited people to imitate.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 13-03-2016 at 21:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like there might be a few things worth checking out there, just for some peace of mind.

When the preschool picked up on the scissor and pencil grip, did they give you the name of an OT? You might be able to go to a public one for free. There can be a bit of a wait, but...well....it's free.

Might be best to just mention the jumping to the OT when you discuss the fine motor skills. I'm sure it's something that they can work on if it's an issue, and she does have at least the rest of the year before starting school so time is on your side.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Should I be worried

I agree that it sounds like an OT might be pretty helpful for you to see. That way you can mention the jumping at the same time as discussing the pencil grip, scissors, etc. The kinder sounds very proactive which is great!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @A-Squared here is an extract of what we received prior to dd starting 4yo kindy this year. She turns 4 on Friday and these are the major skills that they were expected to have. Having a list may give you a bit more of an idea if it is just isolated
    Attached Images

7. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stupid upload quality...this may be clearer
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    She can do most of these and more. Her issues are the jumping (I forgot to check if she can hop) she can't walk long distances and complains her legs are tired but I always assumed it was laziness. She can catch a ball in her chest but not always and has trouble with cutting, but everything else on that list she can do.

She even counted to 100 the other day, just because she felt like it. She recognises a lot of numbers, knows her colours (even the difference between dark and light) plenty of shapes etc.

So I feel much more at ease about her development otherwise. It really does just seem like the jumping and fine motor that her biggest issues. Oh and watching her try and use a scooter is hilarious. She lifts her leg up really high but very slowly. No helmet needed, she's so slow! Haha poor love.

I'll see what the kindy report back to us but it might be worth is

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

michellek  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    For no other reason than peace of mind I would see an OT. my son had speech delay and I kept being told it was normal and not to worry. But I saw a speech therapist just the once and she was brilliant. Within 3 weeks he was talking as we made some simple changes at home.

Definitely worth seeing someone. Some of the kids in my sons kindy class last year had very delayed fine motor skills and it can make participating in sport etc difficult as they tire and feel awkward.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-03-2016)