+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week

Default A weekend in Brisbane by yourself...

What would you do?

I was going to ask this on my FB but I decided not to as I have friends in Brisbane and I'd feel obligated to meet up with them and I just want to be by myself. I know, I'm a cow, but I really need/want this.

It probably won't be until late July/early August at this stage.

I'm planning on staying in the CBD at some swanky place (open to suggestions) on Friday and Saturday night then home on the Sunday morning. I will have my own transport but would prefer to just walk around and only drive to get to the hotel and go home.

I love food but I've had a gastric sleeve so while I'd like to have a nice meal, I don't want to base my whole weekend around eating.... Never thought I'd say that lol.

Many moons ago, I remember going to Southbank markets on a Friday night. Do they still exist and are they any good?

I was thinking of spending a few hours just looking at shops/people watching on the Saturday morning then maybe a museum visit in the afternoon? I haven't been to a museum since I was a kid. Is there one nearby and what's in it?!

What else should I do? Where should I go? How long should I sleep for?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why don't you see what's on a qpac on the days you'll be there? You could take in a show one night!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-03-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Southbank has plenty of restaurants, and things to do at the Cultural Centre precinct.

There is the museum, the Sciencecentre, Art Gallery, GoMA, QPAC. Check out what exhibits are on at the museum/GoMA as there might be something good on. There's almost always a show on at QPAC of some description too, so might be something there to do.

Jamie's Italian is in the CBD and has lovely food. Even if you just go for lunch, its still worth it. Also, if you love food but don't want a big meal etc, there is a beautiful restaurant on the Riverside called Esquire. They do a degustation menu with matching wines. They're not big servings by any means and the food is to die for. If you have any special dietary requirements tell them when you book and they'll adjust the menu for you. For example I don't eat seafood, so when I went I had a totally seafood free menu, while DH and our friend had seafood items in their menu. Sometimes it's nice to just spoil yourself, especially if you don't often get time out for yourself.

Shopping wise there's the myer centre, queens plaza in the city. There are markets at Southbank Friday nights and Saturdays (I think). There also used to be markets at riverside on a Sunday morning too.

I hope you have a nice weekend to yourself!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Goma is great. I had to spend a day on my own in brissy in August whilst hubby was working. I just walked around the cbd, did some shopping, took the free ferry up and back down the river, went to goma then we all met up and had some food. I didn't get enough time to go to southbank but it looked like there was quite a bit to do there, very busy on a Saturday arvo.

enjoy your mini break!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Southbank markets on friday nights are great. Pub food at the Plough Inn is hard to go past IMO.

Then you should definitely see what is happening at GOMA when you're in town.

I'd be tempted to look at staying at or near southbank rather than the city so you could have a relaxing wander and people watch around the beach area in the morning too?!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Its Me For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stay at the Sofitel. It's on top of central station but you don't hear/feel the trains. It's like a blissful other world. They do a full champagne buffet breakfast, there is a lovely pool and a beauty spa on site. I second Jamie's Italian. So freaking good!!!! Plus the art galleries/ museums etc. and yes, QPac often has something wonderful on. Plus the movies at south bank are seriously cheap!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have the art gallery/museum/science centre at Southbank. GOMA have good exhibitions on as well and that is right next to the art gallery/museum etc.

Southbank markets are still on. West End have a cool food/bit of everything market now on Friday and maybe Saturday nights.

The mall has lots of shops and you can trawl for most of a day.

Don't go to Fortitude Valley.

If you feel like a walk there is Roma Street parklands.

Food - Southbank and West End are your best bets. If you stay at Southbank you can walk most places.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    You could stay at Rydges which is right near Southbank and the cultural centre. You'll find plenty to do just around that area and it's walking distance. Like others have said there's GOMA, the museum, science centre and QPAC. At Southbank there are markets on weekend evenings and plenty of restaurants and cafes and some boutiques. There's also a cinema if you felt like catching a movie. You can walk across the bridge from Southbank into the CBD if you wanted to do some shopping at Myer centre, Wintergarden or Queens Plaza. You could also catch the ferry from Southbank to New Farm and check out powerhouse museum, they often have comedy shows and other performances.

If you wanted to stay in a really nice, luxurious hotel Sofitel is great and Emporium Hotel in Fortitude Valley is supposed to be amazing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-03-2016)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If there is nothing on at qpac also check out the Powerhouse. There have been some Melbourne-esqe lane ways opening up in Brisbane cbd recently. I haven't checked them out myself yet but might be worth a look.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Oh my goodness.... A show!!! I didn't even think of a show!! Eeekkkk I want to go right now!

Southbank might be the place to stay by the sounds of it I don't know inner city Brisbane at all. Is it pretty easy to figure out how to get from Southbank to the Queen Street Mall? Would there be maps at the information centre that I could use to walk myself around places?

So very excited! Guess I better tell mum of my plans since she'll have the kids hahaha.