+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Brushing 15 month old's teeth a nightmare!

My DS has 9 teeth....and he loves to bite! We use either a silicone rubber thing that goes over our index to brush his teeth or the thing that resembles a tooth brush that he holds. When we use the silicone thing, he'll allow us to brush real quick before biting and then he'll jam his mouth shut. With the other, he'll do it real quick himself to. I feel like its not done properly. Should i bring him see a dentist? Do dentist see kids so young? How do you brush your kids teeth?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following.

Interested to see how others do it. My 21 month old DS resists and fights us everytime. You'd think they'd get used to it?! Arghh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Try and make a game of it, you know the whole "here comes the aeroplane!" thing with a spoon? Kind of like that, but even more over the top and silly! Take turns, pretend to brush your teeth a bit, then some of his. Actually brush your teeth in front of him to model the behaviour. Pretend to be lions in front of the mirror and open your mouths wide to see all your teeth. Pretend something is a toothbrush and pretend to brush your teeth when you're playing at other times during the day. If it's not already, have it be part of the bath/bedtime routine so they expect it to happen. Have two brushes, one for him to hold and "brush" with, and one for you to actually brush with at the same time.

Or ya know, if that all fails, have one parent hold their head in place, one parent pin their arms down, and when the toddler opens their mouth to yell at you, dive in and brush their teeth

4. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Its Me  (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let DS brush my teeth. We sung songs. Played games. Counted to 10 while brushing. Looked in the mirror and pulled faces.

Make it as fun as possible. DS is almost 3 and is happy to either brush his teeth (and let me or DH finish) or let us do it.

We even brush his tongue (part of the fun game) and he *tries* to gargle like DH. But he also loves spitting and rinsing his mouth.

Be persistent. But again -make it fun. Do it together. It will click eventually.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Its Me  (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try getting him to lie down while you clean his teeth.

I had a dentist recommend this to me and had some success with it. It is easier to get them to open their mouths and stop them from running away.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Its Me  (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Try getting him to lie down while you clean his teeth.

I had a dentist recommend this to me and had some success with it. It is easier to get them to open their mouths and stop them from running away.
    This. DD lays down with her head in my lap and opens up so I can brush. We've had our ups and downs but ATM she is 19 months and is quite happy to have her teeth brushed, it's part of our bath time routine.
    In the early days it was easier to hold her down and keep her hands out of the way in this position too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    This. DD lays down with her head in my lap and opens up so I can brush. We've had our ups and downs but ATM she is 19 months and is quite happy to have her teeth brushed, it's part of our bath time routine.
    In the early days it was easier to hold her down and keep her hands out of the way in this position too!
    Oooo... that sounds interesting. Will try that with number 2 I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is terrible with the teeth brushing, too. He bites. He closes his mouth tightly and purses his lips. He cries and pushes us away if he doesn't want us near his teeth. It's worse when he is teething.

In the mornings, we brush our teeth together. I have a tooth brush for him in our bathroom, I pick him up, give him his tooth brush, and he dips it under the tap with me, and brushes his teeth. After that, I can usually convince him to let me brush his teeth properly without any difficulties. Sometimes he'll brush my teeth, or we'll play games with opening our mouths and roaring. Some times he will watch me brush my teeth so closely it's a little unnerving! It depends on his mood.

In the evenings, he brushes his teeth in the bath. He usually does it pretty well in the bath himself. But DH will finish it up properly while he is distracted with toys. If that doesn't work, I get them while he is lying on the change table after his bath.

He also has a toothbrush that he can carry around through the day and play with. So he has 3 toothbrushes, but it means his teeth get cleaned!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 15 mo fights it too, he only has 6 teeth but I'm trying to get him into a good habit. I've been putting a tiny bit of natural toothpaste on to entice him. Works well. Tonight I did teeth after drying him coming out of the bath, so wrapped his arms in the towel and was making him laugh to get to the teeth.

A lot more work than my first child who always loved having his teeth cleaned! Still does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No its too young for a dentist. My dentist told me to put my kids in a headlock gently and they will open their mouth wide to scream.. Perfect to get that toothbrush in. It worked and over time they would give it up and voluntary open wide.