+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Sausage alternatives?

A few mums at school were asking the sports coach if there was an alternative to the standard sausage sizzle after little athletics ( primary school age kids after school so not dinner more of an after sport snack) he said that they would like other suggestions as a) a lot of the kids didn't eat them anyway and b) the school should look at healthy alternatives for the kids

he asked us to write down a list of suggestions and he will put it to the organisers , one mum requested a vegetarian option so I came up with a few ideas - what would your kids eat and what would you want them to eat after sport ?

Corn cob on a stick ( like at the food markets)
    Yogurt and fruit
    Veggie sticks/dips/crackers/cheese
    Wraps or sandwiches

Would these ideas work after Saturday's sports games as well ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Sausage alternatives?

For an after school snack, I just give fruit or rice cakes or a wrap.

Not sure if it would work after sport as every club I know does a sausage sizzle for fundraising. Some clubs do bacon and egg rolls as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My kids hate sausages but also don't like eating straight after sport. To be honest it's mainly the parents I've really seen munching down on the sausages. I personally find eating straight after exercise is the last thing I feel like doing.

So I would offer something like sandwiches I suppose. The problem with anything is the effort involved in preparing it. Sausage sizzles are easy / social. Corn on the cob is a good alternative.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Corn cob is a great idea, you could offer chilli butter for the grown ups too (and the kids who like spicy things). There aren't many people who don't like corn!

Otherwise things like egg and lettuce sandwiches are always popular. Bliss balls are good because the kids think they are getting a naughty treat.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I would just do some cut up fruit. It's refreshing and cool after being all hot and it's easy to prepare, I really wouldn't go to any big effort. Kids don't care about that stuff.

I thought all kids loved a sausage sizzle?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post: