+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Sure there is a possibility. But there are numerous things that can influence gut health.

As far as I am concerned, the 'carrier's' gut health has more to do with bub's gut health, than the 'carrier's' vagina but meh.

My bub is a csec baby and seems fine so far, but is under 3 weeks.
    DSD has a crappy immune system and was a natural birth.
    DSS was csec and had complications and he is rarely sick.
    agreed.

it's a bit silly to hang one's hat on the future strength of an individual's immune system just on their delivery.

I'm sure there's plenty of c sect bubs that grew up robust and rarely fell ill. likewise I'm sure there's lots of vaginal delivery babies who constantly get sick.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (14-03-2016),DT75  (14-03-2016),VicPark  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    agreed.

it's a bit silly to hang one's hat on the future strength of an individual's immune system just on their delivery.

I'm sure there's plenty of c sect bubs that grew up robust and rarely fell ill. likewise I'm sure there's lots of vaginal delivery babies who constantly get sick.
    But this isn't new. My mother is a retired midwife and it's been known for years that Caesarian births don't clear the baby as they don't go through the birth canal.

It's not a big enough deal to risk harming a baby by insisting on having a natural delivery at all costs. But if there is evidence that you can do things to improve gut health why wouldn't you?

Gut health is about more than just being sick. It's linked to so many other issues with children as well (such as anxiety).

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyla  (14-03-2016),binnielici  (14-03-2016),BornToBe  (14-03-2016),Chillout71  (14-03-2016),Elijahs Mum  (14-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    But this isn't new. My mother is a retired midwife and it's been known for years that Caesarian births don't clear the baby as they don't go through the birth canal.

It's not a big enough deal to risk harming a baby by insisting on having a natural delivery at all costs. But if there is evidence that you can do things to improve gut health why wouldn't you?

Gut health is about more than just being sick. It's linked to so many other issues with children as well (such as anxiety).
    oh I agree if it's within your control and you can have a natural delivery, then I for one would have that as my first preference. we tried for natural but things just weren't going as planned and ended with emergency c sect. not ideal but a safe healthy bub was the end goal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    I've had 4 Caesarians and am trying to get on top of gut health as I feel it's a massive huge problem for my second. Funnily enough she was my easiest Caesarian and quickest recovery. Yet I think her gut health is terrible.

No one is saying not to have a Caesarian. All the writings are saying is there may be things we can do immediately after the birth to help gut health. I wish I'd known about it when I'd had mine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

The same reasons I do/do not do other things- its my choice and I don't feel it is necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    The same reasons I do/do not do other things- its my choice and I don't feel it is necessary.
    Ok no need to justify yourself. It was a generic "you" not a specific "you"

The OP is asking about this issue. What you would specifically do isn't really relevant then is it if you wouldn't even consider it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I'll be 43 when this baby is born. I'm hoping to have a VBAC but I am booked in for a c section at 39 weeks as my OB has made it clear to me the risk of placental deterioration and still birth at my age if I go over is quite high. My first son was born at 38 weeks my second was born at 37 weeks. I am hoping I will go earlier this time as well (obviously not before 37 weeks though!!).

I'm prepared to accept the OB advice and am not prepared to take the chance just so I can try for a VBAC.
    Thanks - good at least to know we are both getting the same advice!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillout71 For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ok no need to justify yourself. It was a generic "you" not a specific "you"

The OP is asking about this issue. What you would specifically do isn't really relevant then is it if you wouldn't even consider it.
    I'm not justifying myself, just answering a question asked.

I answered the OP- whether I would do it or not is actually relevant. It's my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is an interesting area. I had an elective c section with my first child and a failed vbac with my second. I was in labour for 37 hours with my second and thought that surely that would be plenty of time in the birth canal for him to gain positive gut bacteria. My second child has autoimmune and allergy issues and my first child has no issues. With research such as this:

http://www.medicalnewsbulletin.com/d...-food-allergy/

I wonder if I should have just had an elective c section second time around instead of putting my baby through the stress of labour and the link to an increased inflammatory immune response. He has coeliac disease and ulcerative colitis. Obviously it is a very new area of research.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You would just need to be VERY careful you don't hand on any STDs to the baby. Herpes is incredibly dangerous in newborns. Also I can't remember what they swab you for at the end, but often CS ladies miss the swab as the baby isn't going through the birth canal. But seeding would still introduce that to the baby which is bad for them.