+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default C section and baby immune system

Hi everyone I am likely to have an elective c due to my age but I have heard that baby immunity may be compromised if they don't go through the birth canal, there is some research being done on it and ways to overcome it. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Google v.aginal seeding. It is very controversial but mainly because there is not yet sufficient research. It relates directly to what you are talking about.

The concern is because the baby does not pass through the birth canal they are not being populated with their mother's flora/fauna. This potentially relates compromised gut biota of the infant and seems to be linked to later health issues.

You'll note all of the words I use are not definitive - this because it is a new area and results are really only just emerging.

My DS2 was a c-section and whilst I'll try VBAC with belly bub I'm prepared for another csection. So I understand your concern.

I was fortunate to breastfeed DS2 until he was over 3 and have given him pro biotics as well. I hope to be as successful with this bub as this should assist with good gut health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    Google v.aginal seeding. It is very controversial but mainly because there is not yet sufficient research. It relates directly to what you are talking about.

The concern is because the baby does not pass through the birth canal they are not being populated with their mother's flora/fauna. This potentially relates compromised gut biota of the infant and seems to be linked to later health issues.

You'll note all of the words I use are not definitive - this because it is a new area and results are really only just emerging.

My DS2 was a c-section and whilst I'll try VBAC with belly bub I'm prepared for another csection. So I understand your concern.

I was fortunate to breastfeed DS2 until he was over 3 and have given him pro biotics as well. I hope to be as successful with this bub as this should assist with good gut health.
    Wow thanks, this is fascinating stuff!! Do Australian obstetricians recognise this practice, do they have any obligation to support it or is it a question to pose to your individual obs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillout71 View Post
    Wow thanks, this is fascinating stuff!! Do Australian obstetricians recognise this practice, do they have any obligation to support it or is it a question to pose to your individual obs?
    I would speak to your ob but I do not think it is widely recognised or accepted atm.

To help bub gut health too I would take probiotics (if BF) and there are probiotics to use from birth if formula feeding as well.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (14-03-2016),HeavenBlue  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is used in the UK and I think you should definitely ask about it. I was going to in July last year but I'd left my run a bit late. There is research and dr's in the UK do it as part of the "gentle" csection - Google it. I have no doubt it will become standard practise at some point. Basically a swab is inserted into the mothers vagina during the csection and then wiped across the baby's face etc to ensure they get the same bacterias they would get during a vaginal birth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (14-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is an interesting documentary called microbirth which delves into the research and theories around c-sections and gut health. It might be a good place to start if you are interested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I second all of the information you have been given by pp. this is a new area of research and I believe it will have a significant impact on obstetric practices in the future. If you are keen to give your baby's gut/immune system the best start, the second most important thing (other then seeding at birth) is to breastfeed and not give baby ANYTHING orally other then breastmilk until you start solids. If this is important to you then look up the virgin gut.
    Also I'm sorry but I can't help but comment.... Are you happy with the reason the you are having a csec?
    Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I second all of the information you have been given by pp. this is a new area of research and I believe it will have a significant impact on obstetric practices in the future. If you are keen to give your baby's gut/immune system the best start, the second most important thing (other then seeding at birth) is to breastfeed and not give baby ANYTHING orally other then breastmilk until you start solids. If this is important to you then look up the virgin gut.
    Also I'm sorry but I can't help but comment.... Are you happy with the reason the you are having a csec?
    Xxx
    I haven't yet decided but not at all keen on the prospect of being induced so definitely open to it! My priority is a safe birth for my baby, and as I understand it, there is some evidence that placental deterioration is greater for over 40's so that's why they recommend you don't go past term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillout71 View Post
    I haven't yet decided but not at all keen on the prospect of being induced so definitely open to it! My priority is a safe birth for my baby, and as I understand it, there is some evidence that placental deterioration is greater for over 40's so that's why they recommend you don't go past term.
    I'll be 43 when this baby is born. I'm hoping to have a VBAC but I am booked in for a c section at 39 weeks as my OB has made it clear to me the risk of placental deterioration and still birth at my age if I go over is quite high. My first son was born at 38 weeks my second was born at 37 weeks. I am hoping I will go earlier this time as well (obviously not before 37 weeks though!!).

I'm prepared to accept the OB advice and am not prepared to take the chance just so I can try for a VBAC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sure there is a possibility. But there are numerous things that can influence gut health.

As far as I am concerned, the 'carrier's' gut health has more to do with bub's gut health, than the 'carrier's' vagina but meh.

My bub is a csec baby and seems fine so far, but is under 3 weeks.
    DSD has a crappy immune system and was a natural birth.
    DSS was csec and had complications and he is rarely sick.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (14-03-2016)