+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update from us. DS is still self-settling well, waking once per night. Amazing. Sometimes he falls asleep during his bedtime feed and I rustle him awake while putting on his sleeping bag. If he still doesn't wake up I just read him his bedtime story next to him while he's asleep haha. Our only issue now is he is catnapping at family daycare. I think it's too much fun there. He's only there once a week so it's not too bad, I think he's in a really playful stage so will just persist with the same things we've been doing and wait for things to change again.

As hard as it was for me to listen to him cry, the improvements are amazing. I'm human again and a better mum than ever and he's even happier than before too. The small amount of crying was worth the benefits.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

Mona424  (02-04-2016),nh2489  (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm reopening this thread to see if any of the amazing people who helped me last time can help again!!!

My DS is now 15 months and had been self-settling for bedtime (and naps) without crying for about 7-8 months (since I wrote my most recent post on here) but he has now regressed back to screaming at bed time! Same story - still self-settles well for naps during the day (he has been having one 2-3 hour nap for about 2 months), but a few weeks ago started fighting bedtime on the odd occasion and since we went away last week and he slept in our room (disaster I know haha but it was my sister's wedding and I didn't want to be difficult) he absolutely refuses to self-settle at night. He gets so upset his little head gets all sweaty I probably go in more quickly now than I should (after about 2-3 minutes), maybe I need to wait longer? The bedtime routine is now bath, PJs, milk in a sippy cup & story, and we haven't changed it at all in months (except it used to be a bottle).
    I feel like my options are to do controlled crying or CIO (which seems so much worse now I know he understands I'm there just refusing to go in) or to accept that I have to pat him to sleep (which isn't ideal as we have another baby coming in 5 months). The good thing is I don't have to get him out of his cot but I know that in a few months time it's going to be awkward with a big belly to lean over his cot, never mind when I have a newborn who needs me too, and to be honest I really enjoyed being able to put him down and then have time to myself!
    Any tips? Anyone experienced this?
    Oh & he goes to bed at about 8pm now, we found that he sleeps longer this way.
    Oh & he was sleeping through regularly from about 11 months but is now waking 1-2 times a night and I think it's related.
    THANK YOU

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Wake up time? Nap time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nap time is about 11ish - 1.30ish, but it does vary. Wake up time varies too haha anywhere between 6am and 8am. When he wakes at night he sleeps later in the morning.. do you think the nap should be later?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you probably need to wait longer. Dd went through the same thing. I usually waited 10 minutes before I went in... but I gradually increased the time..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Monda424 how old was your DD when she did it? I was wondering if it was a separation anxiety thing. They're so persistent at this age haha. My hubby wants to wait longer too but I'm just worried he'll cry all night!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol he won't cry all night!! Between 18mths and 2yrs. We would have them on and off...

She's now almost 2.5 and tells me that she isn't tired and that she doesn't need to go to bed lol oh the attitude!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    He has self-settled the last two nights, with about 5 minutes of crying but not as hysterical as it was before. I've been cuddling him a little longer before putting him down, trying to make bedtime nice again for him rather than something he associates with being upset. So give him a cuddle, pop him down and give him a pat and if he starts rolling over and smiling at me I just say 'night night' and leave. He's still waking up during the night (hard to adjust to after sleeping through!) but I'm hoping if we can get the self-settling back on track then the night wakings might reduce too. I do leave him for a few minutes if I hear him in the night and he resettles himself sometimes. Should probably leave him longer, sigh, I suck at tough love. I just think of him so little in the dark by himself :'( but I do know it's the only thing that works to improve his sleep!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

Mona424  (11-11-2016)