+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Increasing from SET to DET - any experience?

Hi Everyone,
    I've only just joined so I don't think I have a signature going on with all my basic info/history - I need input from Australians, my usual forum is US based

We've been using a fertility clinic for two years with over a year of natural ttc prior. We've just had our third transfer with a negative result. We've had a large number of IUI and timed cycles before IVF (all neg) as well as a number of failed/cancelled cycles, loss of embryos in thaw etc. Two collections so far and looking to need a third later this year if things don't turn around. I'm 30 so yes, "young".

I feel we need to move beyond SET (single embryo transfer) and onto double. I'm not saying this from a place of "hurry up and get pregnant, I want twins anyway" but a financial one as well as acknowledging my egg quality is sh!t thanks to pcos and extremely high AMH. Let me reiterate this - this is not an uneducated, can't we just throw more embryos in there and take the risk type desire. I've done a crap-ton of research. It's knowing that the liklihood of two of MY embryos taking is ridiculously low. Possible, yes. But realistically it would be miraculous given the dozens of follicles we've managed to stim over the past two years have never eventuated in a single positive beta. eg.Our 2nd IVF cycle collected 24 eggs, 4 made to blast, only two to transfer.

So. I need to argue this with my Dr obviously and have an appt in two weeks. I know the guidelines say no more than two and that's fine with me, I'm not crazy.
    Has anyone successfully requested a move from SET to DET? Did you meet a ton of resistance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No one at all? ....womp womp....

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I have no experience myself but...

My brother did. The dr just warned them of the risks and that was that. They had a couple of SET then one DET where they concieved their twins. The risk with DET isn't so much that you could have twins but that the eggs may split and you'll end up with triplets or quads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive had 3 unsuccessful SET's one did result in a early MC though.

We are heading into our 4th cycle and we are doing a DET as it gives you a higher chance of pregnancy.
    My FS is against twins but thinks that this may give us the chance we need.

We would also like to use the last 2 of our eggs and then do another stim (should i not fall pregnant ) but include chromosome testing with the new cycle as we didn't do that with our first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, we did 2 DETs, out of a total of 6 full stim cycles. Basically, our embryo quality is really poor. Out of our 6 cycles, I have only ever had 2 embryos make it to blastocyst stage, and 1 of those make it to freezing. So our FS offered a DET to us on our 3rd stim cycle when it became obvious that all the embryos were looking dodgy on day 3 and would most likely end up in the bin otherwise. That cycle resulted in a (single) ectopic pregnancy. Then we went back to a single transfer for our next cycle, as the embryo we were going to put back looked semi-decent (it resulted in a bfn). We moved onto a new FS after that who is not keen on double transfers in general, so for our 5thth cycle we did another single transfer (our first blast!) but it resulted in a bfn too. On our 6th cycle we got to transfer day and only had 2 embryos remaining (the others had arrested). Of those 2, one was looking pretty good, but the other was very poor yet again. I managed to twist FSs arm into transferring both, as I was so tired of throwing embryos away. I was aware of the risks of multiple pregnancies, but never in a million years did I actually expect that to happen (esp as the second embryo was way behind where it should have been, graded poorly and badly fragmented). Well, here I am currently 16 weeks pregnant with DCDA twins. As much as it was never something I would have chosen prior to getting pregnant, I wouldnโ€™t change a thing now. I am so grateful to have these 2 babies on board, and just hope that they will get here safely in a few monthsโ€™ time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did my first DET at 33 and have done 4 since. 3 were BFN and 1 was a singleton but I lost it early . Most clinics will just get you sign an indemnity waiver to say your aware that a double transfer can result in 0, 1 or multiple pregnancies and that your aware of any risks associated with it. Your FS should have had a lot of ladies request DET's as it is quite common. We all do the same thing thing after numerous fails to try to increase our odds of getting a take home baby. My FS usually waits until transfer and looks at the quality of the embryos before he will do a DET as well as laws recently changed to make DET's in women under 35 stricter. So I would just have a chat to your FS or your clinic nurse to let them know your mind set moving onto the next cycle. The worse that can happen is they say no ๐Ÿ˜Š

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS was the result of a SET. To conceive this Bub, I did 2 unsuccessful SETs of frozen embryos.

When they didnt work I insisted upon doing a DET. My doctor advised against it, saying I was a strong likelihood for getting twins or more but ultimately she let me decide. We transferred two perfect blastocysts and as I suspected, just one stuck. I'm now 10 weeks. I don't regret it at all although I am glad only one stuck!

My doc is quite liberal in that respect though. Many others are a lot more rigid.

I should add I was 26 at the time with no fertility issues (just in a same sex relationship).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first cycle was a SET which was a BFN then 2nd and 3rd were DET's which was FS' decision and we were all for it. 3rd cycle gave us our now 2yr old son. This was from a day 2 transfer too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone!! Really appreciate the responses!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always had double.transfers even some triple transfers. My fs just always made me sign a waver. Mostly day 3..as i didnt get day 5s blasts. ... from memory maybe twice i got blasts??? My twins came from a triplet transfer. I have pcos so heaps of eggs collected but crap quality.