+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How old was your baby when you felt okay returning to work full time?

With my first, I returned when she was 6 months old and full time. While being back at work was great for me mentally, full time was a bit too much so I dropped back to 4 days and that was ideal. I did find that because DD was in daycare she started picking up pretty much every bug going round, so it felt like either DH or I were averaging at least one sick/carers day per week just to take care of her, but by 12 - 18 months things did get better. Around that time my DH put his business on hold to be a SAHD and he absolutely loved it, so I was able to go back to full time and focus more on my career, securing a more permanent position in my workplace which was undergoing massive structural change at the time. Since then DH has secured a different job which means more financial certainty so now we are thinking about what that will mean for my return to work next year. I'd originally planned to take 12 months off with this bub but now it might be easier for me to either extend my time off work, or return on a more part time basis (assuming they will allow it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    9 months was when I started back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine are 2 1/2 years old now and I won't be going back to work at all until next year when I'll start at 2 days per week and increase as they get older to 4 days per week when they are in primary school. Definitely living tight financially to stay home but it's a choice for me. I did 20 years of working before kids so i'm taking time out of the paid workforce for a while to focus on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thanks everyone for their replies!

A lot to think about.

Whenever I go back it would be full time... My role is full time so I would either do that or step down. I love my job and want to continue and move up in the company further still, so I don't want to leave at all.

I don't mind the daycare issue - we have to use after school care with my daughter anyway so are used to fitting in with daycare hours.

I've done being the poor SAHM thing and I'm not doing it again... So I definitely won't be at home for years... I'm just not sure when I'll be emotionally ready to leave my child. It would be for 5 full days, but one of those would be with my partner as my working week begins on a Sunday, when he would be at home with the baby anyway.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to say, that emotional "readiness" can vary so much person to person. At 6 months I was SO ready emotionally, but physically I still struggled as DD was a crap sleeper and frequently sick so I was functioning on not much sleep and sick half the time myself from picking up all her bugs! By that stage though, many mums have good sleepers so it might be a different story for them. Likewise if you're enjoying your time at home, it might suit you more to stay at home for longer before plunging into work again. If you're not under huge financial pressure id say enjoy being at home while you can, if that's your thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went back part time (3 days 6 hours a day) when my DS was 6 months old. He stayed with grandparents on the days i worked.
    He is 2 and 7 moths now and I have just started back full time at a new job. Hes in daycare 4 days and with my mum 1 day.
    He seems to be coping fine with me going back full time i just try to make the time before and after work together enjoyable for both of ua

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not necessarily ok with, but dd1 was 18 months, dd2 was 9 months and ds1 was 9 months. I went back to work ft each time, but if I wasn't the primary income earner and didnt meed the money, I would have left it longer.... I was also lucky enough to get paid my leave at half pay each time that made it "easier" to take that much time off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I returned 3 days when she was 6 months old, 4 days when she was 12 months old and 5 days just before she turned 3. I didn't really want to work full time but it was a promotion that I couldn't turn down. I was so ready to go back when she was 5 months old so 3 day per week at 6 months was perfect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to do a full time Prac for uni for 4 months , to finish my degree. DS1 was 13 months when I started, I was also 4 months pregnant. I felt sick to my stomach every day when I left him, and counted down the days till I could be home again. after finishing I've not even considered returning to work, he is now 3 and DS2 is 15 months. We're planning another and I'll be home with them until the youngest starts school. It's something I've always wanted and DH is a big supporter too, so that is what's right for us. It's so dependent on the individual/s, as to what feels 'right' good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is so variable between mums and babies and what suits you, what you need financially, emotionally, how bub is etc.
    for me before DD was born I thought I'd go back when she was 6 months old maybe 2.5-3 days a week. I thought I'd be itching for it.
    She's now 8 months old and I'm doing 1.5 days a week from home since 7 months old but I could quite happily not work at all for a long time still. That's not feasible, not for financial reasons but because I'd lose my career and so hard to get back in so I'll work the bare minimum to keep a foot in.
    She goes to childcare 3 hours a day 2 days a week for the past month now so that by the time she's 12 months old in July she has a place and is used to it as I'll then move up to working 2 days a week in the office.
    I'm actually struggling with childcare at all at the moment. Finding it very hard to leave her and questioning what I'm doing every time. Maybe I'll feel better when she's 12 months maybe not.
    My current plan is to do 2 days a week until she's 3 then increase to 3 days a week and when she starts school I'll increase to 5 days a week but only school hours so she won't need before/after care for a while so I might do 30 hours a week for a few years. At this stage I can't see myself doing full time until she's about 10.
    I'm lucky in that financially we can manage me doing reduced hours indefinitely. We are also 99.99% certain that DD will be an only child so we won't be getting this opportunity again so it's important to spend as much time as I can with her while she's little. But I know lots of people who are ready to go back full time between 6-12 months or between1-2 years so it really depends on you and bub as to how you feel at the time and what you can manage financially too.