+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Might depend on a few things, if you want to breastfeed and how long (you might have to pump at work etc.) and what your childcare arrangement may end up being. They do tend to get sick a lot when they start daycare and you can be constantly taking time off for that.

I went back 2 days when ds was 13. months but only because he could stay with my mum. a year later he started 2 days daycare and later we upped to 3 days but it was a tough year as he just kept getting sick from daycare. So lots of time off work. I love part time work, 2/3 days a week is perfect for me.

Ds is almost 3 and another on the way, I've no plans to return to full time work for a long time down the track.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My oldest is 12 and I have not returned to full-time work, and probably wont for a long time, even though i am a single mum now. I have found as they have got older they actually need me at home just as much - if i went to work full-time they wouldnt be able to do their sport/activity (as kids get older they train more etc) and tbh I think teens need a parent at home after school almost more than a small child so you can remain engaged during the teen years.
    I will continue to work PT (3days) as long as I can, even if it means having less $$.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Isabellabean  (22-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DS1 I didn't go back full time until he was 9 years old. We were both ready and he understood that we would both make sacrifices (before/after school care) BUT we would have more money to do things on holidays and weekends.

With DS2 I haven't yet returned to full time. I'm 16 weeks pregnant so it will be a long time. I did go back part time when DS2 was 11 weeks old and it was awful. Worst thing I ever did. I stuck it out until he was 2yr 3 months and took the move interstate to go back to consultancy work only.

I think it really does depend on the child. So far I am 2/2 on kids who don't cope with day care even on a limited basis let alone full time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went back to work when ds was 1 . I only worked 3 days a week though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went back to work full time when dd was 5 and ds 3.5 yo.

Before that dd started daycare at 13months and i was working 3 days. I found at 13m dd just wasn't ready so with ds I waited until he was 18months before going back to work part time 3 days.
    My work place does have very generous paid parental leave of 20 weeks which helped a lot.

Something to consider if going back full time is if you will be sending your child to daycare and what benefits or rebates you would be entitled to.

I only went back full time because dh was going to be made redundant. I would like to go back to part time but it's not an option at the moment as my workplace is also restructuring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    planning to go back in September so ds will be 6-7 months old. I'm only planning to go back 3 days a week. now that he's here, I do feel it's a bit early but we don't have any family help here so it's that or I don't go back for 12 months but I'd like to keep money coming in. if we don't get a spot at childcare I won't be able to go back. wouldn't be ideal money wise but we could cope on dh's salary alone for another 6 months if we had to. will see what happens closer to the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd 23 months and only work30 hrs a week 3x10 hr night shifts. Didnt go back to work till she was 11 months. Off on mat leave again in 5 weeks and will take off another 12 months this time. Will wait till kids are bigger before fulltime work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you planning on returning fulltime or part time? I work 3 days a week. Returned to work when DS was about 10 months. It was really really hard and I would have preferred a few more months but DS was a difficult clingy baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I returned when DS was 4.5 months old, however my DH took on the role of SAHP. It made me feel pretty at ease returning to work knowing DS was being cared for by his dad.

I still expressed milk twice during my work day as I had a very abundant supply.

I don't regret my decision - it was the best arrangement for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my DD, I returned when she was 6 months old (first child), then with the second I returned when he was 6 weeks old ! Their dad was a SAHD, so no point really us both being off work, so I went back full time. I still breastfed when I was at home, and he had bottles when I was at work. Worked all out ok. I BF him til he was about 9 months old.