+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How long does housework take you?

Like if you were on top of most things and house is generally looking pretty tidy? Just curious as I want to move from our house it's too big for us and too much maintenance. When mil comes to visit she spends all day cleaning I'm not exaggerating! I used to think she was just obsessive but I think that's what this house would need. I can't believe that most people spend most of everyday on housework?? I've a 21 month old and find nothing is getting done bar basic washing and cooking but even when all 3 are at school I'm not staying home cleaning all day!!! I hope to study or work.
    I'd get a cleaner in if I could find the time to tidy up beforehand - probably circa 2018!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I do bits and pieces throughout the week (I work full time), however my standard weekly 'housework' (tidy, vacuum, dust, mop, bathroom) takes me about 1.5 hours.

I've lived in other houses that have taken so much longer, but I find only having one bathroom, wooden floors and a relatively small 3 bedroom home it doesn't take me long to get things done.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (11-03-2016)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think most people would spend one day of the week doing housework. I never did that, I did little bits through the week, but all the time added up might have been maybe 5 hours. I know when I had teenagers, I had a housecleaner for three hours a week, and she did the floors and the bathrooms in that time. When my children were small, I did what I could when they were asleep. I washed and cooked, and just generally tided up while they were awake. I also have to say, I never washed windows, or cleaned behind the fridge, or did any yard work. marie.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (11-03-2016),Mod-biscotti  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I had my DS he was up feeding all night, wouldn't sleep by day. Then became a crazy active toddler who'd literally get into everything. So finding time and energy to keep up the house was the bane of my existence.

What I found worked for me was 2 things (that was not keen on doing at all) doing a giant declutter and then keeping that up regularly, and a cleaning schedule.

I hate doing housework on weekends bar some washing or stuff like gardening/washing the car. I like it to be free. I also work 2-3 days a week. So basically I have a schedule, it's all in there and I do bits every day. I put clothes on timer to wash almost every night and hang in the morning. Even when dog tired I spend at least 30 mins at night cleaning the kitchen really well, emptying rubbish, running the dishwasher and putting away stray items, doing a quick run with stick dyson. The rest of my stuff gets done on a schedule, weekly so bathrooms/floors/deep vaccum and dust/put away washing that's piled up etc.

In the mornings I try to hang out clothes, empty dishwasher, quickly spray and wipe bathroom and load our breakfast stuff in dishwasher. I do it all super fast in about 20 mins on work days.

I prefer to do small bursts to keep on top of it rather than spending whole days cleaning.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-03-2016),binnielici  (11-03-2016),LittleBug'sMum  (11-03-2016),Papillon  (11-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a big house and hate cleaning, so we have a cleaner who comes fortnightly to do a deep clean of bathrooms, dust and floors.

But I do the kitchen/dishes daily, sweep the floor every 2nd day, at least one load of washing a day and a tidy up/clean where needed. So maybe 1.5 hours a day, but would be more on days I fold washing and change the sheets.

Now that the kids are older (6 and 4) I find there is less mess. And I culled a lot of toys at Christmas, so less clutter from them spreading stuff all over! They are also responsible for picking up anything on the floor each night and putting it away.

Don't be put off getting a cleaner because you feel you need to clean before they come. A good cleaner can help you get your house sorted and make your life easier.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont work ... we have 5 kids .. 2, 6, 8, 9 and 11

I do the bathroom, dust, vacuum, mop, the mirrored robes and the kitchen every morning... usually all done by 830am and only takes about half an hour

I also change everyones bedding once a week ... the 2yr old I change his every 3rd day because he is in there more

I also wash and iron every single day

Thanks
    Reviews
    With 4 pets I find it a completely never-ending task 😫

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Its never ending lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm home FT atm with a 5mth old, 3.5&5.5yo. Daily housework of washing/hanging up/bringing in/cooking dinner/dishes/general tidy up/packing lunches/mopping takes about 2-3hrs. Then I clean one room per day per week which is maybe another 30min per day. Generally do it with at least two kids in tow.

My house isn't display house material but it's clean, tidy and ready for guests at all times.

ETA - we have a 4X2

Thanks
    Reviews
    How long is a piece of string?

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (11-03-2016),Kristyj  (11-03-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (11-03-2016),SoThisIsLove  (11-03-2016),SuperGranny  (14-03-2016),White Mage  (13-03-2016)