+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Should I keep persevering? toilet training question

ds is 3.3 years old. he doesn't say he wants to go to the toilet but this week has started to hold his wee in for 3 hours til the next wee.. then he wets himself.. if i put him on the toilet sometimes he will scream and cry, but today he's only cried for 3-4 mins and then gone... instead of the usual 20.. had 2 accidents in the undies today and been to the toilet 2 times quite happily also.. should i keep on at it or not? this really is the pits. i hate tt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes! Keep going! My DS was trained within a day with the 3 day TT method, but my DD took over a week because she was at daycare and I just had to work around that. It's hard in that first week or two, and I also felt like quitting, but I figured it would be so confusing for her to revert back so we hung in there. She eventually got it and I'm so glad I persisted, and her daycare was excellent too, very patient and understanding.

Good luck! TT is my least favourite parenting task of all time too!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (09-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-03-2016)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    at his age I would keep going. He cant be too far away from getting it. It is a hard struggle when they are not ready, but I would think since he has managed to go to the toilet a few times, it would be just confusing, if you let him go backwards into nappies. Marie.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely keep going but you need a plan of attack and the commitment to stick to it 100%. I trained my DS young (19 months) but I took a week off work and we didn't leave the house for at least the first 5 days. By day 3 he understood how it all worked and then stopped wetting at night too.
    Check out www.pottytraining.com.au for ideas.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fauvette For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (09-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauvette View Post
    Absolutely keep going but you need a plan of attack and the commitment to stick to it 100%. I trained my DS young (19 months) but I took a week off work and we didn't leave the house for at least the first 5 days. By day 3 he understood how it all worked and then stopped wetting at night too.
    Check out www.pottytraining.com.au for ideas.
    We did this too with both kids at 14&18mths.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel like a failure as a parent reading some of these comments. My DS is 3+7 months and wees in his undies several times every.freaking.day. He first did a wee on the toilet at 22 months and we have been at this process ever since. It is a nightmare. WTF am I doing wrong?? He just doesn't care. We have a sticker chart with a present when he fills a row of 20 stickers, but the incentive (or sticker removal for accidents) is not enough to make him go to the toilet. I suspect a combination of laziness and lack of concentration on toilet training (too much other stuff to do and think about). I hate it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryGirl77 View Post
    I feel like a failure as a parent reading some of these comments. My DS is 3+7 months and wees in his undies several times every.freaking.day. He first did a wee on the toilet at 22 months and we have been at this process ever since. It is a nightmare. WTF am I doing wrong?? He just doesn't care. We have a sticker chart with a present when he fills a row of 20 stickers, but the incentive (or sticker removal for accidents) is not enough to make him go to the toilet. I suspect a combination of laziness and lack of concentration on toilet training (too much other stuff to do and think about). I hate it!
    Oh hun i feel for you.. Does he ever say he needs to go to the toilet? How is he for number 2's? Have you tried instead of stickers maybe stamps or (i know its bad) but a jelly bean?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He has number 2s totally under control and always uses the toilet, but wees are totally hopeless. He rarely says he needs to go to the toilet and rarely tells me when he's wet his pants (I don't know if he's trying to hide it, doesn't know or just doesn't care). If I don't tell him to go every 30 minutes he just wets himself. And getting him to put down what he's doing to go to the toilet is a battle in itself. If I ask if he needs to go, he will always say no....and then wee in his pants within minutes 😟

Thanks
    Reviews
    i'd try just putting him on the toilet at timed intervals.. i've worked out my ds will wee pretty much exactly 3 hours after the last so i do it that way.. but with my other ds and dd i put them on every 20 mins for 5 mins til 3 days later it sunk in.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-03-2016),SuperGranny  (10-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should I keep persevering? toilet training question

Ds never toilet trained until 3.5 he was stubborn but then just got it in a day!? Dd is now 3.5 and does not get it the slightest. Couldn't care if she was wet or dirty. She knows what the potty is for and can do wee's but she just doesn't seem to get the idea of needing to go when she needs to. If that makes sense? I do believe that they do it when they are ready and no amount of force will make them get it quicker. Although sometimes I do wonder if DD knows but plays on it. She also seems a bit more immature for her age compared to DS was at that stage. I think that had a lot to do with it.
    Some kids pick it up as early as 18 months others can take until they are 4 or longer! I found I needed a break from toilet training more than my son 😄