+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Bottle shop 'humour' - WWYD?

Conveniently, my office is located a short distance from a bottle shop.

Occasionally I will purchase a six pack of beer for my husband, or infrequently something like wine for myself. Their range isn’t vast, so I don’t go there very regularly (once every three weeks maybe).

Anyway, the two staff members are older guys (one looks around 50-ish, the other closer to 70) and I find whilst they are quite friendly, they often give me the pips with their attempts at humour, which I find a little sexist.

They say things like I’m ‘spoiling’ my husband, “oh look, she’s spoiling him again”. EVERY TIME. I’m pretty sure when I bought beer the other day one of them said “Oh, so you’re going to give him some beer and rub his feet tonight?”. I said “no, he’s working tonight, these are for when he gets home”. I just felt like, why the eff do you have to make these stupid comments every time? Why am I explaining myself to you people?!

This has been going on for quite a while, so I find I rarely go there, but some days it’s just easier rather than stopping somewhere on the way home.

My question is – would this bother you? Would you stop going to this store, or call them out on their silly comments? Or would you continue to buy but engage with them minimally and not respond to any stupid questions/comments?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i would think they are being jovial/flirtatious..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Bottle shop 'humour' - WWYD?

Similar thing happens to me every time I go to our Butcher Shop, throw away little sexist jibes and it does get old after a while. Problem is I really like the meat there, so I just politely smile and shrug it off, so I guess I'd probably be the same if it happened in a bottle shop as I would visit the bottle shop less frequently than the Butcher.
    It is annoying, though not something I stress about if I'm honest.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds like they might just need to update their material. Maybe you should tell them that the 70s called and want their jokes back.

I think i would find them retro and amusingly corny. I'm sure they recycle the same material with every woman doing the same thing. Ultimately it would be water of a ducks back.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (09-03-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (09-03-2016),LaDiDah  (10-03-2016),Marchbundle  (09-03-2016),Mod-Myztik  (09-03-2016),MsViking  (10-03-2016),VicPark  (10-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Sounds like they might just need to update their material. Maybe you should tell them that the 70s called and want their jokes back.
    Oh, I like this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd be a funny smart a$$ back at them (but I don't think they'd bother me much tbh!) I reckon they're old and bored lol and trying to be friendly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd just be polite and put up with it. I used to work in retail and would have the same old men making the same jokes every day (and they'd all have the same jokes, thinking they were all so original!), I would just do a polite smile/comment and move on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This wouldn't bother me tbh. If they brought up the topic of S. Ex it would annoy me but the comments you described, no.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The comments themselves wouldn't bother me - the fact they do it EVERY single time would and I'd definitely go elsewhere. It'd irritate me and I'd feel like I had to engage in banter every single time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like friendly banter, albeit outdated. I kind of like a bit of banter and would give it back. However, I'm not easily offended.