+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default EFT Tapping

Has anyone had success with this?
    I'm at a point where I'm desperate for relief at times and have been reading up and researching this today after a friend recommended it.

Interested to hear about people's experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it makes you feel better go for it, but it has been completely discredited as a therapy by the American Psychological Association.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MillieMollyMandy View Post
    If it makes you feel better go for it, but it has been completely discredited as a therapy by the American Psychological Association.
    That's so interesting. From what I've read, it is not dissimilar to acupuncture (same basic practice of targeting pressure /energy points) and from what I understand that practice is hugely successful.
    I wonder exactly how it can be discredited? I mean, how can they prove it doesn't work?
    I wonder if has anything to do with pharmaceutical companies? Hmmm.
    I was naturally very skeptical and wondered if it was all a bunch of psychosomatic woo woo nonsense. I guess it could be something that depends a lot on what an individual wants to believe. I really hoped it was a legitimate practice.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 09-03-2016 at 14:43.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I love it! I used to get acupuncture and I think it's somewhat similar but free :-) As long as you get something out of it I don't think it's hurting anyone...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I wonder exactly how it can be discredited? I mean, how can they prove it doesn't work?
    *Puts my scientist hat on*
    The same way that other treatments (medical or otherwise) are tested - have two matched groups, give one the treatment, and the other either do nothing or give them a "fake" treatment (like a sugar pill, or tap them on some other body point and tell them that it's one of the special energy points). Then at the end, see which group on average had a better outcome.
    It can't really be "proved" that it works or doesn't, we just try and collect as much evidence one way or the other until we come to a satisfactory conclusion.

Anyway, while I wouldn't personally ever go for this, you probably wouldn't lose anything by trying

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, what a coincidence... I am seeing a psych for anxiety, had a session today & she suggested EFT & showed me how to do it! Her take on it was that there was no concrete evidence to suggest it works but as it is not harmful in any way (& it's free!) she decided to add it to her list of techniques that are worth a go. So far she says anyone she has recommended it to has seen at least a slight benefit from it & a couple of patients have gone from an anxiety level of 9 or 10 down to a 5 or 6 when they have practiced EFT regularly. So I'm thinking why not give it a go?! If you're interested I can pop back down the track & post or send you a pm to let you know if I find it to be helpful.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jude15 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jude15 View Post
    Well, what a coincidence... I am seeing a psych for anxiety, had a session today & she suggested EFT & showed me how to do it! Her take on it was that there was no concrete evidence to suggest it works but as it is not harmful in any way (& it's free!) she decided to add it to her list of techniques that are worth a go. So far she says anyone she has recommended it to has seen at least a slight benefit from it & a couple of patients have gone from an anxiety level of 9 or 10 down to a 5 or 6 when they have practiced EFT regularly. So I'm thinking why not give it a go?! If you're interested I can pop back down the track & post or send you a pm to let you know if I find it to be helpful.
    You know what, I was just discussing this with a friend and regarding the fact that it has been discredited by the majority of the medical/psychology field, I'm kind of of the opinion that there are definitely things in this world that cannot be explained on a science based level, but it doesn't mean it should be discounted all together. And I am a strong believer in the power of the mind and also do believe in bodily energy, so I'm not ruling this out completely.
    I also think it's more than just a placebo type situation; I actually do think that the pressure points exist.
    And as has already been said, it can't hurt.
    I tried it this morning and I think the fact that I relaxed, closed my eyes and did the deep breathing at the end, that whole combination was quite soothing.
    It's also not only just about tapping those points, but also the things you say to yourself at the time; usually positive self talk is encouraged and practiced, but I like the fact you're encouraged to verbalise the negative and basically accept it, accept yourself and learn to not give a crap- acknowledge the issue, rather than try to change it, and still learn how to deal and accept and overcome the negative feelings associated with it.
    I've done CBT with a psych before and the self talk I learnt was very similar.

I'd love it if you come back and update 😃 I hope you find it beneficial.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I saw the title of this thread and thought it must have something to do with paywave.

Anyway, I've never heard of EFT tapping so can't really comment, but wish you good luck in finding something that does work.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-03-2016),Jontu  (09-03-2016),smallpotatoes  (10-03-2016),~Marigold~  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I saw the title of this thread and thought it must have something to do with paywave.

Anyway, I've never heard of EFT tapping so can't really comment, but wish you good luck in finding something that does work.
    That's so funny, I never realised but you're right.
    By the way, I have a love hate relationship with eftpos tap and go; on the one hand it's convenient and fast, but I hate the fact that anyone can steal and then use your card without a pin. But that's another story... 😉
    And thanks, I hope I find something that helps, too. I can go months and months with little or no anxiety, but then something triggers it and I feel like I'm drowning. Such a sh!tty affliction.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Marigold, how have you been going? Did you keep up with the tapping? I've been doing it on & off & I have to say I do find it relaxing & because of this it does seem to have helped as a coping strategy for my anxiety. I think it is the repetition that is the key for me (when I tap I repeat 'it's just anxiety') & like you said the whole process with the breathing etc is soothing. I have to say I'm totally with you - in my experience there are definitely things that science cannot explain & I'm trying to go with a combination of traditional medicine & alternative therapies. Just as a side note I had a series of blood tests done & they revealed that my vitamin B12 & zinc levels were really low (no idea why??) & the GP said that deficiencies in these vitamins can lead to anxiety sooo I'm now taking these vitamins to see if it helps also. Too early to see if that will make a difference too. It's so complicated!!! Anyway, hope you're going well :-)