mothers group - how young is too young? | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'd go but that's me. I leave the house the day I get home. I can't stand being stuck at home with a baby.

My first mothers group was the most amazing group of mums. You'll find heaps who are struggling, paranoid and just a little bit OTT, as well as the chilled mums.

Have you asked how old the other babies will be?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went out with dd1 to mothers group at 2 weeks old. And my second dd I had to have in Perth and I had to fly home which I did when she was 10 days old which gave me the willies but she was fine 😆go out if you are ready if you are worried don't let anyone touch bub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to flowers21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I feel quite anxious at the idea of going tbh. I don't feel ready to discuss my struggles in public, I'm scared I'll start crying or something. dunno, I'm the kind of person who needs to go out and present a very calm and controlled front. going out sleep deprived and looking/feeling like sh.t really freaks me out actually.
    I felt somewhat like this, and was petrified just trying to get myself and DS out of the door. But the MCHN group was actually fantastic. Our one (WA) was all similar aged babies and first time mums, and it was such a wonderful relief and a weight off my shoulders to discover that we were all feeling similarly and having the same inner struggles, as well as the same issues and learning curves with our babies. It was facilitated by a MCHN for a few weeks, and they gave some useful talks about understanding and looking after your baby (eg. recognising tired signs, settling, etc). I'd encourage you to go and try it. If you really feel uncomfortable, you can always just not go again. But for me, it proved to be an invaluable support during those early months.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (09-03-2016),rosey82  (09-03-2016),turquoisecoast  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'd go but that's me. I leave the house the day I get home. I can't stand being stuck at home with a baby.

My first mothers group was the most amazing group of mums. You'll find heaps who are struggling, paranoid and just a little bit OTT, as well as the chilled mums.

not yet but will check tomorrow.

I think because I have dh here with me I don't feel too cut off from adult society yet lol. that could likely change once he's back at work next week.

I just don't want to go and feel pressured or freaked out at the idea of going.

as a PP suggested though, I guess I could always go and then decide if I like it then and maybe just drop off if I don't and return at the 3 month mark.

I'll definitely try and find out more info tomorrow.

so the pre-vax thing shouldn't be an issue in people's opinions? I'd hate to take him then he gets sick (even just a cold)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    not yet but will check tomorrow.

I think because I have dh here with me I don't feel too cut off from adult society yet lol. that could likely change once he's back at work next week.

I just don't want to go and feel pressured or freaked out at the idea of going.

as a PP suggested though, I guess I could always go and then decide if I like it then and maybe just drop off if I don't and return at the 3 month mark.

I'll definitely try and find out more info tomorrow.

so the pre-vax thing shouldn't be an issue in people's opinions? I'd hate to take him then he gets sick (even just a cold)
    No the pre vax wouldn't bother me. At that age the baby would be either in a pram or attached to me.

Don't go if you feel pressured. You may be overly critical as you don't really want to be there. Mine wasn't brilliant straight away but developed over time. It was a life support for me.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-03-2016),turquoisecoast  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

Me too!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS1 was 3.5wks and DS2 2wks for our first mothers group meeting. Didn't go with DD. Bubs usually stay in prams or your arms feeding etc

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd definitely go, in fact I did when DS was 3/4 weeks old. I think it's the norm. If you go to the next one you'll probably find that every one else's Bub is 2/3 months younger. There was about 12 in our original group, we were all in the same boat, I found it really helpful.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go and see what it's like . It's always hard the first time but it's good to get out and about. Good luck

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If it were me I would go. Establish the connections and friendships before things go to poo with bub. IMO 3 months is a little too late - it's another few months before friendships are made. By that stage you've already been through the worst of it (4 month sleep regression etc).