mothers group - how young is too young? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default mothers group - how young is too young?

just a quick query re mothers group. saw our MCHN last week who advised she'll be starting a mother's group from next week. she said the next one after that would happen in 3 months. ds will be 3 weeks old next week. is this too young to be taking him out to mothers group? I'm a bit worried as he wont have had any of his shots and I just feel 3 weeks is a bit tiny to be out and about amongst lots of other people? it's also highly likely I am being an over the top paranoid ftm lol

so hubbers, what should I do? go along next week or wait til 3 months? I'm in no hurry to be leaving the house right now, things are still a bit all over the place and I feel by 3 months we might have more of a routine. also I'm technically not supposed to be driving til 6 weeks due to c sect.

thanks lovelies xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would wait til the 3 months but see if you can chat to the coordinator or something in the mean time so you "know someone" when you go

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess it depends on the individual - I would personally feel more comfortable waiting until the other group starts up.

Sounds like you are pretty content to wait, so I'd go with that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I started in mine when DS was almost 3 weeks old. I liked it because it gave me something to do and I could chat to people who had gone through the same thing, as most babies were older than DS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I never went to the MCHN facilitated mother's groups so can't really comment on them, but I started mother's group with my first at 2 weeks. It was great. I am still friends with some of those women over a decade later.
    Aren't the MCHN ones specific for the ages of the baby? That was my understanding...and they discuss particular topics at each one? You could find them useful.
    I think three months is a long time, I understand you're not ready yet, but could you talk to your MCHN, and tell her you'd like to join but can't drive until 6 weeks...then bub can have his first lot of vaccinations before you go, and you'll only miss the first two sessions.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-03-2016),turquoisecoast  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went when DD was 2 or 3 weeks old. The MCHN ones are facilitated for the first 4 sessions, then you can all keep meeting up if you want to. I got a lot out of the sessions. Everyone is in the same boat: sleep deprived, figuring out feeding etc, mine was a great bunch & also gave me confidence to go along to other things like rhyme time at the library.
    Worst case scenario go to the first few sessions, then just disappear if you don't like the group lol!
    I found it was good having a reason to get out of the house too.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (09-03-2016),turquoisecoast  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks ladies. we have our 2 week appointment tomorrow so I'll bring it up again then.

it's a bit of a crappy time lapse. 3 weeks seems too soon but 3 months seems like too long. 8-10 weeks would be perfect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started when DD was 3 weeks old. It simultaneously freaked me out because they were all talking routines while i was just trying to get used to a baby. But it was great hearing that the constant feeding and lack of sleep was normal. I feel like if i had waited some of the 'usefulness' would have gone for me

14. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I feel quite anxious at the idea of going tbh. I don't feel ready to discuss my struggles in public, I'm scared I'll start crying or something. dunno, I'm the kind of person who needs to go out and present a very calm and controlled front. going out sleep deprived and looking/feeling like sh.t really freaks me out actually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't start the mother's group til DS was about 3 months. We knew we were moving, so really no point starting it before we left. I just joined the new one after we moved. One of the babies was a month older, about 4 of them between 2-4 weeks younger. The youngest bub was 5 weeks.

Go with your gut.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post: