+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week

Default Nipple cream in advance

Trying to BF DD was a disaster. The very few times she latched, she damaged my nipples so much. I'm pregnant with #2 and wondering if using nipple cream in late pregnancy can help prevent nipple damage in the first few days after birth. If so, at what gestation do you start?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've not ever heard about nipple cream being used as a preventative for nipple damage. Nipple damage is predominantly caused by incorrect attachment. I would ensure you have a midwife handy for pretty much every feed for the first day or so until you feel more confident. Also there there is plenty of education around regarding breastfeeding that you can do antenatally. The ABA has antenatal breastfeeding classes. You can ask to see a lactation consultant antenatally. There is lots of info online (Dr Jack Newman is a favourite) with accompanying videos. There is also education in hospital at the time of delivery from the midwives on the ward, to the lactation consultants, education classes etc. The more help you ask for at the beginning, the less likely the damage will be (usually).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just had my second baby and while he's had pretty good attachment and latching it still hurts at first! I BF my DD for 12 months but it still hurts initially when you are first learning. I second about getting a MW or LC to check baby's attachment for all feeds while you're in hospital. I use lanolin to help once your feeding as well as the gel discs they are really soothing, but I don't think they will help prior. Good luck & they do toughen up I promise!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cant wait to be a mummy For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Thanks ladies. Can you tell in anxious? Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you done any BF classes like the PP suggested? I did one before I had my DD through the ABA and it was fantastic. I think something that can be hard about BF if you have previously FF is knowing the amount & when your Bub is full as you can't physically see how much they are having. Also when your in hospital make sure you tell the midwives that you want help with feeding & attachment. I found as a second time mum they were pretty happy to leave me to my own devices as opposed to the first time. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, yes there are lots of benefits to BF, but there are also plenty of benefits to formula too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I spoke to someone from aba and they told me not to bother with a class as its for first time mum's and they dont discuss anything that's not in the book I have from them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's all about the latch and attachment to be honest. Knowing what's right and whats wrong and having a great LC on hand and also getting bub assessed and treated early for lip ties or tongue ties. Have you got access to a good LC?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can see one antenatally to discuss concerns etc. Ive found continued breastfeeding rates often is due to support, knowledge and informed individuals

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I'll be looking into seeing one again this time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I spoke to someone from aba and they told me not to bother with a class as its for first time mum's and they dont discuss anything that's not in the book I have from them.
    Oh really? That's a bit disappointing! I remember there were some second time mum's in the class I went to because they hadn't BF the first time... Maybe finding a good LC while you're pregnant might be more helpful. Good luck