+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 80 of 80
  1. #71
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Exactly! For all of those full time people working back to complete a job. Give 2 people 0.6FTE - enough to cover a job and staff won't quit from burn out.
    I really feel like the education department should be doing this for women in leadership. Had I not gotten pregnant I would have been made a principal within 6 months at 34. But, now I'm not afforded that opportunity because principals aren't offered job share which is ridiculous. So what happens is I'm now on family leave for 7 years and my role as AP stops after 5 years so I lose that unless I go back to reapply which is not possible. So yeah that's how the pay gap widens in education because male counterparts are free to take leadership positions due to the system being set up the way it is.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (11-03-2016)

  3. #72
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Commission type jobs aside, the only reason people and workplaces believe a job can't be done sufficiently part time is the work culture we've all been talking about. A full time job can be cut into 2 part time job shares, where two people liaise well with each other. There are some jobs this simply wouldn't work with but most would.
    100%

  4. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I really feel like the education department should be doing this for women in leadership. Had I not gotten pregnant I would have been made a principal within 6 months at 34. But, now I'm not afforded that opportunity because principals aren't offered job share which is ridiculous. So what happens is I'm now on family leave for 7 years and my role as AP stops after 5 years so I lose that unless I go back to reapply which is not possible. So yeah that's how the pay gap widens in education because male counterparts are free to take leadership positions due to the system being set up the way it is.
    In NSW you are able to do AP part time. And whilst I think it's great if people want to do that, I certainly think that for me, an AP job is too demanding to do part time and to give 100% to being a parent and 100% to being an AP just isn't possible.

    And I'm not sure about part-time principals. I think it would work in schools but certainly not that the school that I currently work at a sit would be too disruptive to other classes. It's just not possible to leave our office without an executive. Job share, maybe but can't say I've ever heard of it.

    Again, I'm not against the idea for others but I just know that I couldn't give my all to my job and my family if I was to do both.

  5. #74
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    In NSW you are able to do AP part time. And whilst I think it's great if people want to do that, I certainly think that for me, an AP job is too demanding to do part time and to give 100% to being a parent and 100% to being an AP just isn't possible.

    And I'm not sure about part-time principals. I think it would work in schools but certainly not that the school that I currently work at a sit would be too disruptive to other classes. It's just not possible to leave our office without an executive. Job share, maybe but can't say I've ever heard of it.

    Again, I'm not against the idea for others but I just know that I couldn't give my all to my job and my family if I was to do both.
    I was an AP for nearly 8 years before I took family leave - when I went back after having DS I was full time - full time was far too difficult for me (maybe not for someone else) - however, given job sharing part time was a piece of cake to do and to parent as well. It's the same as any job once you've been in it and you know it then you're able to do things with more ease. Yes it is demanding but so is teaching and teachers job share and do part time for more frequently than female leaders in education. The point also is giving women the choice of deciding if it's too demanding - you say yes, for you it is and I say no, for me it isn't but giving me that choice is not as easy as I believe it should be.

    I've gotta say too that your 2nd paragraph is exactly what the battle is - women don't get the choice to job share a principals role - for you it wouldn't work but for me it would, however it's not really an option because the system says so and that's the reason we have historically had a female dominated industry with male dominated leadership.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (11-03-2016)

  7. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default Spinoff:

    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I was an AP for nearly 8 years before I took family leave - when I went back after having DS I was full time - full time was far too difficult for me (maybe not for someone else) - however, given job sharing part time was a piece of cake to do and to parent as well. It's the same as any job once you've been in it and you know it then you're able to do things with more ease. Yes it is demanding but so is teaching and teachers job share and do part time for more frequently than female leaders in education. The point also is giving women the choice of deciding if it's too demanding - you say yes, for you it is and I say no, for me it isn't but giving me that choice is not as easy as I believe it should be.

    I've gotta say too that your 2nd paragraph is exactly what the battle is - women don't get the choice to job share a principals role - for you it wouldn't work but for me it would, however it's not really an option because the system says so and that's the reason we have historically had a female dominated industry with male dominated leadership.
    I don't know if we've misunderstood each other?

    I absolutely believe that a principal job could be done as a job share. I also believe that an AP job could be done as a job share or part-time, although but I just don't think that a principal job can be done part time, well not less than 4 days anyway whether it is a male or female. I'm only speaking from limited experience as even though I've been teaching since 1998, I've always taught in very low ses and disadvantaged schools, and the school would just fall apart if the principal was only there 3 days a week. I would think it may be different in more affluent schools that didn't need a presence there. I don't know. But if someone would want to do the principal's job part-time, good on them.

  8. #76
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have certainly never felt less superior or treated any differently when working part time. During times I have decided to work part over the years my boss and wotk collegues have been nothing but supportive. There was a time I have job shared my role with 2 of us doing the same role and it hasn't worked so it reverted back to just myself doing the role. I also have my hours and days included in my email signature.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 11-03-2016 at 14:11.

  9. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,377
    Thanks
    1,504
    Thanked
    883
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Exactly! For all of those full time people working back to complete a job. Give 2 people 0.6FTE - enough to cover a job and staff won't quit from burn out.
    Unfortunately some workplaces it's all about profit. They pay the least possible but expect you to finish the work regardless of the work load.

  10. #78
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,187
    Thanks
    482
    Thanked
    1,049
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm just going to throw my experience in here. I'm a senior professional in a male dominated technical industry. I have a middle management role, I'm client facing and have people reporting to me. My company is a global privately owned company (owned by management of which I am part). We are in a competitive industry where winning work is key.

    Based on all the above and the previous discussions this should be a completely inflexible business. It is not.

    I work part-time. I meet my deadlines. My work quality is the same as before DD. Essentially the how I deliver is left to me and my team and we work out a system that works for us.

    What we found when we started introducing flexible roles is that many males wanted flexibility, they just weren't game to ask for it.

    While we continue to accept that it is too hard to be flexible, it will be too hard.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (11-03-2016),babyno1onboard  (11-03-2016),MissMuppet  (12-03-2016),Sonja  (11-03-2016)

  12. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    To answer the original OP both hubby and I work full time.

    After my boys were born I took nearly a year off on mat leave (each time). This had nothing to do with finances and it being a financial necessity to stay home. I have a higher income than hubby (not that we point score) and was fortunate enough to have enough leave and savings up my sleeve to take the time off. It was tight though. I took the time off (as opposed to hubby) because I wanted to breastfeed and I wanted to bond with my boys. And I wanted a break from work (break! Pffffttt!). There wasn't really any discussion about this before we got married and once we fell pregnant there was never any suggestion hubby would take time off in that first year - it just automatically happened that I took time off.

    The first year back at work after babies both hubby and I worked slightly reduced hours so the boys weren't in daycare as long. Discussions about these arrangements occurred when bubs were around 5 months - hubby suggested he reduce his hours, I didn't twist his arm in any way . Hubby absolutely loved his days off with just him and the kids.

    Now we are both back at work full time housework and kids-work is split 50-50. Hubby keeps making off the cuff comments suggesting he go part-time as he misses his days home with the kids. I am not against the kids having more days at home however Financially it's not an option for us. If one of us was to reduce hours now it would be hubby though as I earn more than him so it would make sense for him to take the time off.

    OP - I might not be on board 100% with all your views however what a great topic for a thread. Thanks

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    Jontu  (11-03-2016)

  14. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    1,827
    Thanks
    597
    Thanked
    592
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I still think with some roles there cant be flexibility. Eg if you have to be somewhere everyday for 4 weeks until a task is finished. I still think part time can work in lots of jobs but not all.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Spinoff: What type of parents did you have and....
    By A-Squared in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 15-09-2015, 05:42
  2. All hail Netflix ***spinoff***
    By Moxy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-08-2015, 16:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Baby Sensory
Baby Sensory is the only baby programme that offers a complete approach to learning & development. Our classes offer an exciting world full of fun sensory experiences for parents and babies to enjoy.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!