+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To an extent we were able to work around my part time hours. But we also have deadlines when things are due and people relying on each other to finish certain tasks.
    I was able to get my work done but when the boss asked who could help out with other tasks and meetings were on particular days that suited everyone else, it wouldn't really be fair for me to expect others to work around my calendar..so sometimes my team mates had to take on those jobs.
    Some meetings I have are also with senior managers and it is so hard to try and schedule 7 senior people for one hour and even harder when I am only available 3 days of the week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    From my experience when I was doing part time I was not able to attend a lot of meetings, couldn't take on extra work. I wasn't even in a senior role.
    If someone is in a more leadership and senior role where I think the glass ceiling is more paramount, I just don't see how part time would be fair on the business. Most of those people have others reporting to them, they have so many meetings to attend, decisions to make.
    I am only speaking from my experience in a finance role. It might he different in other occupations.
    My workplace is like this too. It would be very difficult and disruptive having senior staff work part time. Often issues arise and need to be dealt with the same day. I was offered a promotion just before I went on mat leave and turned it down because I'd been planning on returning part time and thought it would be too tricky.

I'm sure it would work fine in many industries though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    To an extent we were able to work around my part time hours. But we also have deadlines when things are due and people relying on each other to finish certain tasks.
    I was able to get my work done but when the boss asked who could help out with other tasks and meetings were on particular days that suited everyone else, it wouldn't really be fair for me to expect others to work around my calendar..so sometimes my team mates had to take on those jobs.
    Some meetings I have are also with senior managers and it is so hard to try and schedule 7 senior people for one hour and even harder when I am only available 3 days of the week.
    And imagine of some of those senior where also part time - and worked different days. Agh!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (10-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I work full-time. My partner works full-time as well, however his job requires a lot of overtime, so he works longer hours. Even if we worked the same hours, he would earn more.

He's a tradie, I work in retail management. Neither of us are making massive amounts of money but combined we make more than we need. We're a bit terrible at managing it in a reasonable way tbh - especially me.

We're TTC, which be the second child in our little family. I plan on working up until about 6 weeks prior to my EDD, taking my paid maternity leave then seeing how I feel. If one of us has to go back to work only part-time, I have no doubt in my mind he'd prefer it be him. He could work less hours and still get a decent sum of money, plus I'm just sure he'd enjoy it more. I spent a long time as a SAHP and I lost myself in the process... it's not something I'm eager to do again, and if I want to go back to work part-time, I'd have to step down as it's just not an option for my position.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Spinoff:

In my workplace lots of managers are part time. In fact it's encouraged by the CEO. He has implemented a program called 'all roles flex' which means that anyone in the organization can apply for flexible workplace arrangements, and there are a whole range of different arrangements you can pick from. I think it's wonderful. Some people on flexible arrangements are parents, some are gearing down to retirement, some have other commitments (in unpaid or lowly paid work as artists etc).
    I am in a very female dominated industry, which has probably pushed this sort of thinking. But it works incredibly well for everyone. Everyone is happier, people job share really well, people feel good about working for the company because it values its staff so much.
    The whole of Sweden is working towards a 6 hour work day. It's doable. We are so blind to the possibilities of how we could be working!

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-03-2016),AdornedWithCats  (10-03-2016),binnielici  (11-03-2016),DJ Nette  (11-03-2016),Janesmum123  (11-03-2016),MissMuppet  (10-03-2016),MsViking  (11-03-2016),Renn  (11-03-2016)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    In my workplace lots of managers are part time. In fact it's encouraged by the CEO. He has implemented a program called 'all roles flex' which means that anyone in the organization can apply for flexible workplace arrangements, and there are a whole range of different arrangements you can pick from. I think it's wonderful. Some people on flexible arrangements are parents, some are gearing down to retirement, some have other commitments (in unpaid or lowly paid work as artists etc).
    I am in a very female dominated industry, which has probably pushed this sort of thinking. But it works incredibly well for everyone. Everyone is happier, people job share really well, people feel good about working for the company because it values its staff so much.
    The whole of Sweden is working towards a 6 hour work day. It's doable. We are so blind to the possibilities of how we could be working!
    This is what I was getting at!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ FearlessLeader, your workplace sounds like a great place to work in.
    Is it not for profit or commercial?
    I have found there is a big work culture difference between the two. When I was in commercial it was the norm for everyone in my team to be working back 1-2 hours unpaid extra everyday and my boss would be there even later and coming in on weekends. All unpaid.
    I also have other friends in finance working crazy hours.
    I am so glad I left and moved to a not for profit organization where it was more flexible and people would tell you to go home if you stayed back.
    In my current place it is becoming more profit focused and we have a lot of new senior managers from large commercial companies who are wanting to increase profitability, efficiency, lift performance etc. These are all good things but I hope we don't end up working crazy hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have part time admin staff ( all mums) but our sales team couldn't do part time ( well technically they could but they wouldn't make any money ) as they are pretty much on call most days and most clients can only see them after hours or weekends - our industry is commission based so if you don't sell anything you don't get paid - most mums ( of younger kids) can't take that risk plus the hours are not defined so very hard with organising Childcare etc - the most successful women are usually childless ( me up until 39) or have older kids ( my top sales agent now)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Commission type jobs aside, the only reason people and workplaces believe a job can't be done sufficiently part time is the work culture we've all been talking about. A full time job can be cut into 2 part time job shares, where two people liaise well with each other. There are some jobs this simply wouldn't work with but most would.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-03-2016),babyla  (11-03-2016),FearlessLeader  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Commission type jobs aside, the only reason people and workplaces believe a job can't be done sufficiently part time is the work culture we've all been talking about. A full time job can be cut into 2 part time job shares, where two people liaise well with each other. There are some jobs this simply wouldn't work with but most would.
    Exactly! For all of those full time people working back to complete a job. Give 2 people 0.6FTE - enough to cover a job and staff won't quit from burn out.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-03-2016),babyla  (11-03-2016),delirium  (11-03-2016)