+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope. Even when we lived right around the corner. Nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My MIL comes to take care of DS on Thursdays whilst I go to work and I'm grateful for that. Yesterday she came so I could come to get my hair done too but that was a first. She lives 40 minutes away so I'm sure if she was closer she'd help even more.

I don't have a FIL and my dad has too many health issues to watch DS for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

My mum is a fickle creature. We won't see her for weeks despite her living around the corner because she is busy with her own stuff and next minute she's asking to take DS for a few hours to the shops on a Sunday. More often than not I get very little help from my mum.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default For those with kids, do u get much help from ur parents?

We now live interstate from my mum and the MIL/FIL. So have no one.

Before we moved my mum used to live across the road and helped when she could - she has congestive heart failure though so was limited. But she did help by bringing over meals, taking my washing and bringing it back neatly folded, washing dishes etc...

MIL/FIL lived 3 houses down the road and provided no help at all. FIL did offer once to 'show him who's boss' when DS2 was only 3 months old and crying. Needless to say I declined.

My sister helps a lot when we visit her. Over Xmas DH and I went to see a movie together while she looked after him. First time we had been alone together since DS2 was born. But she lives interstate.

When DS1 visits he will also help out wherever he can.

Edit - my father lives 3 hours away and has visited a couple of times but he doesn't help and sees the visit as a holiday.

SIL also lives 3 hours away and has visited once. She didn't offer any assistance and she and the nieces left the guest room/bathroom a pigsty so I'm not particularly keen on them visiting again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No - both of my parents live 20 mins away (not far) but I just pay a babysitter. I'm a single parent and I play touch footy and netball so I have a teenager come over and watch my two at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a standing arrangement with my MIL, she looks after baby once a month (although probably not this month), and we go out on a date night.
    She really wanted to do something similar with my niece, but my SIL got her own mother to look after her.
    As for my parents. My mum lives 5 hours away (and didn't even bother to come visit until January...Ember was born in September. But thats a whole different rant), and my fathers not really in the best position to baby-sit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We really only have much to do with my mum, in terms of baby sitting. I use that when I feel the need but once in a while she will arrange it. My FIL lives 5 minutes away and we see him once a week if not more. I will ask him to baby sit ONLY if there is no other option. He is old and grumpy and I hate making my kids deal with that. Besides he is a heavy inside smoker, like I said only for emergencies.
    Other than that, other grandparents (my dad and step mum, the ex's mum, dad, step mum) either live too far away or are busy with their own life and only see the kids a couple times a year.
    The only family we see are my mum and nan, and the kids step dad's dad and step mum on a regular basis. Sad really

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work part time so my parents have my DS 2 days a week and my in-laws 1 day per week. If we needed to go out they would also happily have DS for a sleepover (although it's only happens 3 times in 2 years). I was on mat leave for 12 months and never left my son with anyone.

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mum and MIL lived on the other side of the city, so it was not an easy thing to get their help, but if I needed them they would come. My mum would usually stay overnight, or longer, because she didn't drive and public transport was so slow. Both my mum and Mil would always help if they were asked, so I was fortunate. Now I'm a grandma, and I will do everything I am asked to do. I offer to help. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We dont use our parents for oosh or daycare, and they can have 1 2 or 3 of our kids anytime they like. Eg dd will go and stay with inlaws for a few days each fortnight. Or the 2 dss have a sleepover with my parents who live 5 mins away. I have amazing inlaws and parents who jump in because they love it, and also when we need help. Eg; my mum will often make a huge platter of schnitzel and bring it over so thats dinner sorted for a few nights. My parents did oosh for us for a few weeks this year as there weren't any spots at school when term began.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum took early retirement from nursing to look after my kids and my 3 sisters kids on various days during the week while we work. She is also happy to look after the kids whenever we ask her. My dad died 3 years ago so her grandkids are her life (her words). My MIL is always happy to help, but we only ask her occasionally. I also have 3 sisters who all live in the same town and we regularly have each other's kids. I have an amazing support network, have no idea how people function without one....hats off to you.