+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I grew up next door to my grandparents. I think my sister and I pretty much lived at their house every weekend. It was absolutely idyllic and I don't think it was ever seen as giving my parents a "break" more that was just what my grandparents wanted.

I hope when my grandkids are born I can be that sort of grandmother. I'd love to have that close bond with my grandkids.
    This is what we have now with our family. The kid's grandad is living on the same property with us! It's not for everybody, but we absolutely love it and have gone from literally never having a babysitter/leaving the kids to having time to ourselves at least once every week. It's great to see their close relationship as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My IL's are helpful but annoying lol. My dad is useless and I could not trust him with the kids alone for 2 mins. My mum is only just about to move back to Aus permanently after being overseas for 8 years or so. She would help but honestly DS has not spent enough time with her to stay alone with her or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. We live on the other side of the world. If we lived in the same city my parents and ILs would help a lot - I have no doubt!
    They visit once or twice a year and are very helpful when visiting - at least once a year one or both of my parents fly over for a specific event to babysit DS (ie. we are going away without him/have been invited to a wedding etc.), last year my Dad stayed with DS for ten days while we were in the USA - they are all wonderful grandparents

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep I'm very lucky my parents are awesome, they live around the corner, mum has withdrawals if she doesn't see her grandkids every couple of days , they have my nieces and DS over for dinner every Monday night ( I work late Monday's so just pick him up on my way home) plus she has him most Saturday's , when any of us had newborns she would do all our washing and ironing and cleaning ( she regularly goes down to Melbourne to see my brother and his 2 kids) my sister had a baby last year so she did school drop offs and picks up for 6 months with my older niece - we are very lucky! My in laws live down the coast so they don't really help as such but are still awesome grandparents

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do. Mostly so I can work, and as I work shift work hours I can't use childcare/OOSHcare.
    My mum minds them once a week or so (she still works fulltime) and takes them to school that day. Sometimes she will mind them for other reasons as well; appointments etc.
    My MIL minds them a few times a week. She also minds them if I need to go out. When DS1 was a newborn she would also come and cuddle him during his incessant screaming, so that I could have a shower etc. However she is quite painful and is getting increasingly so as she gets older, so I am now starting to have her here less and less.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default For those with kids, do u get much help from ur parents?

My Parents yes if I need it not so much now because my mum is not well but, when DS was 1 month old I was rushed in for emergency back surgery and my parents had DS for 2 weeks while I was in hospital & when I can home they looked after me as well for a week. Now they will have him for a few hours so DH & I can go out for dinner or something. In-laws will not help with DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Only when they visit every few months. My dad has a crazy work schedule and they live 3.5hours drive away. My mum doesn't work though so sometimes she can come up if it's something important like needing a babysitter for an important appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Haven't read any of the other replies.
    But my mum would, and she did when we lived in the same city. Now we're 2 hours away, she comes and visits and stays for a few days at a time. She's always cleaning and looking after the boys for us.
    We live in the same area as MIL and SIL now and SIL is always happy to help out when and if she can. MIL is as well but we mostly make do ourselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No help at all.

IL's live overseas. They visit every couple of years but they are "guests". They don't offer to help or suggest babysitting so DH and I could have a date night.

My Mum passed away 2 years ago and Dad lives interstate. Dad is happy to mind DS if we are visiting if I need to run a quick errand. I think he would be nervous to do it at night. He probably would if I asked but I don't like to.

DS is 5 tomorrow and DH and I have not had a night out by ourselves without DS in all that time. We could could use a babysitter but we choose not to. Because of that choice I guess we cannot complain 😊

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Truffle For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I grew up next door to my grandparents. I think my sister and I pretty much lived at their house every weekend. It was absolutely idyllic and I don't think it was ever seen as giving my parents a "break" more that was just what my grandparents wanted.

I hope when my grandkids are born I can be that sort of grandmother. I'd love to have that close bond with my grandkids.
    This is sort of us with my mum. She lives up the road and it was all planned that way when we started TTC. She does help a lot, especially when my DS was a baby and she still has him now a few hours here and there during the week/she can get him from daycare if he’s sick etc. though he’s pretty full on and hyper as a toddler now and she’s in her 70’s so she finds it a bit difficult. We’re really grateful to have an extra pair of hands when we need them but also that our DS loves to be with his Nana.

For us though it’s not really about “help” as such, it’s about spending time together, my DS is extremely attached to his Nana and see’s her multiple times a week, he wants to walk up to her house all the time. She wants to see him all the time. Our in laws are interstate but we skype them every week so they can see DS and we visit as much as we can.