+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When we are living in the same city, yes, both sets of parents would help, despite their old age.

I try not to rely on them too much though for the fact it tires them out too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. All of our family is interstate. Even if that wasn't the case, I don't know if I'd leave DS with my parents for more than a couple of hours and even less for DP's side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope, we live a few hours plane flight away from all grandparents. However, if we lived closer I'm sure they'd help out if we needed it. And if something happened, they'd hop on the next flight over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes my mum helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i tend not to ask unless desperate.
    I feel like I had them, theyre my responsibility, the grandparents have done their bit raising me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mother doesn't help. She has got her own health issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I grew up next door to my grandparents. I think my sister and I pretty much lived at their house every weekend. It was absolutely idyllic and I don't think it was ever seen as giving my parents a "break" more that was just what my grandparents wanted.

I hope when my grandkids are born I can be that sort of grandmother. I'd love to have that close bond with my grandkids.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (09-03-2016),shani2  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default For those with kids, do u get much help from ur parents?

My mother was never designed to be a mum. Whilst I am glad she did make the mistake of doing so, she should never have had a child. I don't talk to her at all. Haven't for 2 years now. Cut her out when she was a horrible cow towards my second son. She only met my 3rd a handful of times and never met my youngest. Never will. She's the type that would visit when my babies were weeks old and complain about the mess and why it took me more than 10 minutes to get her a coffee. She was never a help.

My MIL has always tried to help. We live 10 hours from her though so not that easy. If I said to her right now that there was an emergency, she would leave right this second to get here. She's a good woman. We don't really get help from anyone. I don't get babysitters or cleaners or etc. We don't do dinners out without kids (or with kids really either). I had all four kids in tow (4, 2.5, 1.5 and newborn at the time) the last time I had a Pap smear. I'm *that* mum haha.

ETA: I have been trying to get my MIL to move closer to us and she is keen as soon as she finds work. But I probably still won't get her to help a whole lot. She loves spending time with the kids but they're all still little and require a lot so I'll visit and do all the mum bits (nappies, discipline, and dealing with Mr4s issues, as he has special needs) so she can just worry about having fun with them. I'm more than happy to share my kids with her, I'm just not after the "help" part. I want their time to be nice.
    Last edited by Ahalfdozen; 09-03-2016 at 06:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents live interstate, but help when they visit every 6mths or so. XMIL is deceased and XFIL is a grumpy old man. I've done it solo since my babies were born, though if I had an absolute emergency I know my mum would be on the next flight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My in laws are great. They only live 5 minutes away and will always take DS at short notice if I have an appointment to go to or we want a night out. They always care for him one day a week instead of daycare.
    My parents live 2 hours away and they help out but it is always on their terms and not necessarily when it is convenient for me