+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes.
    My in laws are awesome very hands on grandparents who often baby sit. My mother in law dropped everything, including work for a week, when we lived two hours away and was on my doorstep within hours of DF calling her when dd was a month old. She is a saint.
    My dad lives a couple of hours away and often comes to visit for the weekend, if we are in need of a babysitter he is happy to come and stay. He is quite young and loves to take the kids to the park, football, cricket, out for dinner or for sleep overs.
    We are incredibly lucky.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default For those with kids, do u get much help from ur parents?

My parents are awesome. They live across the road and we go over for dinner once a week on a Friday night and then on Saturday DH drops the older 2 up there as soon as they are both awake and they all have special breakfast together with baby chinos and rolls etc. and they often take them out for the day. They do that at there request as they like the time with there grandsons and on the flip side we also get some time out so win win.

ILs are a different story. They live 45 away and we see them every few months or so. They have never babysat and show no desire to.

ETA my folks do and would help out anytime. I am hesitant to ask more than absolutely necessary as mum has a tendency to make it like it's an inconvenience at times, even when she suggests it, so I tend to stick to just when they ask to have the boys
    Last edited by shani2; 08-03-2016 at 21:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mum and Dad work full time but mum has flexible hours so will often do an hour here or there when I need it. My in laws are retired and help out occasionally although they always make out as if they are doing us a HUGE favor by babysitting so it makes me hesitant to ask.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My dad loves DS but he's not a baby sitter.
    My FIL is a bit like my Dad.
    Mil does help when we've asked - helped DH for 3 nights when I was at a conference and has had him for an hour here and there so DH and I can have some time together.
    I don't like to ask too much. She has a job of her own and her own interests as well as 6 other grandkids. I don't like to take advantage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents are fabulous- we get an enormous amount of help.
    We do live on the same property which does make it easier for them (they are both retired but in good health)
    They have been a constant help since the twins arrived 5 months ago. At their suggestion they are now our 'daycare' option so that I can return back to work. At their instigation They have rearranged their entire lives and routines to be very hands on and involved. Mum even helps with night feeds (she suffers insomnia) if one of us needs a break or a decent sleep.
    Our two are grandchildren No. 8 and 9 for them but this is the first time they have been given such free access to any grandchildren as my SIL's have all focussed on their own mothers.

My Inlaws both work and run a business so are tied up with that most of the time. On the ocassions when DH has suggested they could babysit they have avoided the question and appear disinterested in the idea. I think they maybe scared of trying to handle twins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents are great and will babysit when I ask (if they are free). Well it's mainly my mum, my dad tags along sometimes too. I'm not sure if he'd feel confident to look after DD on his own. I don't think FIL would be interested in babysitting unless it was an emergency. Which is fine, we get along really well - he just has heaps of grandkids and had heaps of kids and a bit over looking after them. My parents moved to the same town as me when DD was about 3 months old and it made a world of difference. DF works overseas and I was alone with a newborn and getting no time to do anything. With my mum around I was able to clean the house, do some cooking, etc - it was a big help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live too far away from our parents for them to really help. But, I know they absolutely would if we lived nearby. I know this because when we visit they volunteer to baby sit while we go out (though that's only happened maybe 4 times), and also are pretty involved with day to day things while we are there. If it was all the time, it might bother me, as they are not at all concerned about things like sleep and nutritious eating, but it is not often and I know they miss him.
    My ILs look after my niece and nephew frequently, so I know that they would in a heart beat. Mum works long hours, so isn't as free to help out through the week, but she is also pretty hands on with our other niece ans nephew.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, we are in Australia by ourselves without family support. If we did live near my parents though they wouldn't hesitate to help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I rarely get help, but I rarely ask for it either.

My parents live an hour away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents mind my girls when I'm at work (shift worker). They do day care drop offs and nightshifts. Most mornings when I get home I find DD2 snuggled up in bed next to my dad. Who would have thought my dad would turn out to be an attachment parenting type! He works outside with them, takes them to Bunnings, and takes them to swimming lessons and hops in for DD2s class. My parents are amazing.

But because I do use them for work I don't ask for anything social. Maybe a concert a year or a friends wedding etc.

It's hard work for them but it's keeping them active and they have such an amazing bond.