+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We bring wine. That way they can choose to use it at the event or keep it as a thank you.

When I say this though I mean it. We have a coeliac in the household and I usually make events gluten free so nothing gets contaminated.

One pet hate though is when I ask people not to bring anything and they bring something (usually with gluten in it) that requires the oven. I'm usually using the oven if I have people over and facilitating this is a hassle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whenever we invite guests for lunch or dinner (or a play date), and they ask what to bring, I always say, "nothing thanks, I've got the food organised." I love entertaining and prefer to do the food myself, but I would hope that they would bring some flowers as a 'thank you' gesture.
    We had two kinder families for lunch on Sunday and neither of them came with flowers or drink. I thought that was pretty poor form.
    If I'm told not to bring anything, I assume that just means not to worry about bringing food, but I ALWAYS take flowers - ALWAYS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default What to bring when you're told not to bring a thing

I can't believe how many people take something to a play date! 😧

Proper lunch or dinner invite, yes take wine/flowers/chocolate. A play date??? Nothing. If somebody comes over I just makes some tea or coffee and offer the mom cookies or something, they usually have their own snack for their child. Likewise when I go over to somebody's house. It's meant to be casual and an opportunity to give each other a bit of a break (cleaning house, chasing rogue toddler in the park, etc), why add stress with expectations like this? To me the 'thank you' is reciprocating the favor/play date. Genuinely never occurred to me to take anything and nobody has ever brought anything to me.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (09-03-2016),MissMuppet  (09-03-2016),NancyBlackett  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always take something over whether it be playdate, lunch or whatever. Depends on how well I know them it's usually scones or Anzac biscuits for new friends. I will cook fancier stuff for good mates/family.

I've got tomato and feta tartlets ready for tomorrow's morning tea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I always take something over whether it be playdate, lunch or whatever. Depends on how well I know them it's usually scones or Anzac biscuits for new friends. I will cook fancier stuff for good mates/family.

See you about 10am!!!

I've been on 4 new play dates since DS started kindy and I have always just bought fruit - until I get to know them I then work out if and what to take or not - 1 mum had a complete afternoon tea buffet set up , another had nothing as she has 4 kids and ran out of time to make something so the fruit was very welcome - personally I always have tons of food and don't like it when people bring things over but I do find it hard not to take something to someone's house ! ( especially if we've just met)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Omg! That sounds delicious. I'm in Canberra... Where exactly will these tartlets be? 😜

Back to the op I'd probably take some biscuits. In general I take something if it's a new friend but if a close friend says "don't bring a thing" then I embrace the chance to be lazy and expect them to do the same when they come to my place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    Omg! That sounds delicious. I'm in Canberra... Where exactly will these tartlets be? 😜

Back to the op I'd probably take some biscuits. In general I take something if it's a new friend but if a close friend says "don't bring a thing" then I embrace the chance to be lazy and expect them to do the same when they come to my place.
    Gungahlin!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gungahlin!
    Lol! Funnily enough that's exactly where I'll be too. I promise I'm not stalking you for your tartlets.

Sorry for derailing op. I'll stop now. 😊

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post
    Whenever we invite guests for lunch or dinner (or a play date), and they ask what to bring, I always say, "nothing thanks, I've got the food organised." I love entertaining and prefer to do the food myself, but I would hope that they would bring some flowers as a 'thank you' gesture.
    We had two kinder families for lunch on Sunday and neither of them came with flowers or drink. I thought that was pretty poor form.
    If I'm told not to bring anything, I assume that just means not to worry about bringing food, but I ALWAYS take flowers - ALWAYS.
    I'm the opposite, if I am inviting people over and say to bring nothing, I completely expect nothing. Flowers would make me feel extremely uncomfortable to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by siansmum View Post
    Poor form? But you told them to bring nothing! People aren't mind readers.

This thread perfectly illustrates how people have different ideas about etiquette - what some consider polite, others consider rude. So I try to give the benefit of the doubt. Whatever my friends bring (or don't bring) is just fine - they're almost certainly doing what they think is best.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-03-2016),babyno1onboard  (09-03-2016),Best Things  (09-03-2016),FearlessLeader  (09-03-2016),just her chameleon  (09-03-2016),Lillynix  (10-03-2016),MrsMummaButterfly  (09-03-2016),~Marigold~  (09-03-2016)