+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mixed feeding

My boy twins are 8 weeks/2 weeks corrected. They have been mix fed from day one (they had a good spell in nicu) as they were too weak to suck- not uncommon.

I've persevered with bf but always having top ups. I tried a few days excl bf but they were getting dehydrated and cranky.

I'm really looking for some help in understanding whether there is any real benefits in continuing the bf/ whether a little breast milk gives bubs any or all of the health benefits? Any advice would be terrific

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi lovely,

I know I've already shared my story with you about my experience mix feeding my twins and don't have any specific info on what amount of breastmilk provides benefits...

But I just wanted to say - it's okay if you stop. Your boys will be okay if you give them only formula, the most important thing is they are fed and that they have a happy healthy mum. You have done an amazing job to get this far and I know from the other posts you made that you have tried incredibly hard to exclusively BF your babies.

Please don't take this as meaning you have to or should stop, I just wish someone has said to me it was okay to stop when I was in your shoes as I was beating myself up about it badly, needlessly.

All the best xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsA2B For This Useful Post:

Hopeful1975  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again! You can probably tell I'm really struggling with this one - that said yours and others I've spoken to have helped me understand that I have a choice - whole pregnant I was absolutely determined to bf whatever it took

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful1975 View Post
    Thanks again! You can probably tell I'm really struggling with this one - that said yours and others I've spoken to have helped me understand that I have a choice - whole pregnant I was absolutely determined to bf whatever it took
    I was exactly the same! It didn't even occur to me that it might not work that way for me! Whatever you decide, you guys will be okay. The most important thing is that you feel okay about whatever you decide x

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsA2B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a great achievement you have done for your boys. With my last one, i had major supply issues, no attachment , and i had physical problems with feeding. So only pumping and supplimentary bottle feeds for us. I lasted 4 weeks with a hospital grade pump. Then, i had a good cry, and have her a full bottle. It was a turning point. A positive turning point. I was spent. Its tough being a mumma. Again, not saying you should do anything, just givibg my experience. xx all the best.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there,

To answer your specific question, I had read somewhere that only a vey small amount of breastmilk is needed to pass on antibodies. For the life of me I can't find the article.

As PP have said, it's ok to stop. You don't have to continue BF. I think there is too much pressure placed on women to BF and the focus should be on sanity for the mother and for the babies to be fed (formula, BF or mix).

Good luck with your choice xxx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any amount of breastmilk has benefits (antibodies, bacteria, a specific type of sugar that humans can't digest but feeds beneficial bacteria in the gut).

Whether or not to continue though is up to you.

If you want to move to exclusive breastfeeding, you can drop the formula amounts gradually...lower the amount every few days. As long as the bubs have plenty of time on the boob whenever they want, your body should catch up...though it can take a fewdays.

If you want to drop the breastfeeding, that's a completely valid decision to make. Yes, breastfeeding has benefits, but formula-only would likely mean less stress and effort on your part. That's important too.

I think it's easy to get hung up on breast/formula feeding choices, because it's often one of the first big decisions we make for our kids. The reality is that we'll make so many choices throughout their lives which will have a greater impact than how they're fed as babies/toddlers...and each of us is best placed to choose what we feel is right for our families at the time.

Do whatever you feel is right...if that requires battling on or grieving an experience you thought you'd have, then that's fine. Whatever you choose is right for you at this point. No guilt. Goodluck!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Minib  (09-03-2016),MrsA2B  (09-03-2016),MsViking  (10-03-2016),PinkPopsicle  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP,

I have also been mixed feeding for the last 3.5 months now. Unfortunately I simply don't have enough supply. I've tried exclusively BF for 3 days and it ended up with me and Bub crying all the time. She was hungry, couldn't sleep and it stressed me out. Mixed feeding worked well for us but it's a lot of work. My DD sleeps through the night and yet I have to be up every 4 hours to pump so we can top up the next day.

I am also stubborn and quite hung up on the benefits of BM. I have no doubt it has lots of benefit hence me persisting on BF and expressing. What PP wrote really hit home. It is one of the very first important decision for us to make however there are so many we need to make in our children's lives that it really doesn't matter how they are fed. As long as they are fed.

This is a good reminder for me as well!!

OP, it's ok to stop BF. You have twins. I admire how you are still trying so hard. You need double the effort and just need to decide what's best for you.

As I'm typing this, I am reminding myself that it's ok to stop as well. Or to continue. Just try my best and know when to stop.

Hugs

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minib For This Useful Post:

Hopeful1975  (09-03-2016),PinkPopsicle  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I've kind of done it all. My first child was ff from 5 days old. My 2nd child got EBM for approx 4 months and I mixed fed my current baby - breast and formula for about 6 months.

They are all healthy, bright kids. I'm an outspoken advocate of formula so I admit my answer is bias. But seriously, I can never tell the difference between bf and formula kids and the child with the highest IQ is my 5 day formula baby.

Do what works for you. Your twins will thrive on exclusive breast, mixed feeding or only formula

16. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Minib  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    PP's have said it all in various forms. Both formula and breastmilk are adequate and appropriate forms of infant nutrition. You need to make a decision you're happy with.
    Do you have enough support and access to services to help to continue?