+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baby self weaning?

Ladies, I have been mixed feeding for the last 13 weeks. Exclusively BF isn't an option as I don't have enough supply. Bub has been happy with mixed feeding up until the last 3 days. I thought it could be my BM but she's happy to take my BM in a bottle yet cry every time I put her on the boob.

It could be the flow. Could be anything I'm not sure.

My question is how do you know when baby is self weaning off the boobs?

I've been pumping instead to give her my BM but I'm really hoping she's happy to BF again as I'm enjoying it until she kicks up a big fuss.

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is Bub? It could well be baby has become accustomed to the bottle - which takes a lot less work than the breast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    How old is Bub? It could well be baby has become accustomed to the bottle - which takes a lot less work than the breast.
    13.5 weeks old.

I have used the super slow pigeon teat for a long time and switched to slow teat when she was 11 weeks old. I purposely did that because I know the flow needs to be slow to match with my breasts. But maybe she's so used to the bottles now.

Of course I'd love to continue BF if I can. It took me a long time to enjoy it and now I'm not ready to give it up myself but I have always said when she's ready I will let it go. I don't want her to get frustrated during feeding. I want her to enjoy feeding. I want both of us to enjoy that bonding whether boobs or bottles. And the last 3 days have been stressful and it also means I need to express a lot. I will express though for as long as my boobs produce milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You could boob feed but mix feed using a cup so that boob nipple is preferable to a bottle teat?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    You could boob feed but mix feed using a cup so that boob nipple is preferable to a bottle teat?
    Do you mean a sippy cup?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No I mean a cup as in a plastic cup or shotglass. People use them instead of bottles to feed babies. It's definitely possible as I've done it before at a younger age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS went through this. We just weaned at 6.5 months when I my pump broke, and supply tanked.

I think it's too early for bubs to wean. Keep trying, and worst case keep up the pumping for as long as you can. But don't beat yourself up.

Hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh i didn't realise Bub can drink from a cup. I'll try but will need to find something that I can sterilise.
    In the meantime I'm pumping away. I'm so used to pumping now but would not choose pumping over BF!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minib View Post
    Oh i didn't realise Bub can drink from a cup. I'll try but will need to find something that I can sterilise.
    In the meantime I'm pumping away. I'm so used to pumping now but would not choose pumping over BF!
    It takes a bit to try. Use formula in the cup as you can get wastage as you get used to it.

Then offer boob as much. That way your boob becomes the main source of both food and comfort.

Hope this helps.