+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I've never worked in an industry with pay gaps between sexes so for those that do - is it mainly private industry/companies?
    Real estate has one of the highest pay gaps.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-03-2016),Sonja  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-03-2016),binnielici  (09-03-2016),Sonja  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Choice is a loaded term though. I consider it a key concept of feminism in our generation and probably the most important aspect for me personally. But making a decision doesn't mean it's purely free will or isn't highly influenced.

For example - a family has 2 or 3 young kids. Dad works FT say earning 60k a year. Mum has done the sums and by the time she pays CC, tax, takes out the FTB she loses, the cost of the commute, uniforms etc etc, she is actually *losing* money. Her husband is a shift worker so she can't even take evening work because his roster changes so much. So she stays home. Technically people may argue she is choosing to stay home. But it's a pretty loaded, influenced choice.

I only have one small child at home and if I returned to work now by the time I factored in the above I would still be a bit ahead. I stay home solely bc I choose to. For DH and I it's important for me to be home when they are young. I don't stay home bc I feel guilty for working, or for money. My choice is purely autonomous. The woman above me isn't.

In regard to equality. We are not equal with men. Equality is more than a pay scale. A man walks down the street at 2am alone, gets king hit and (rightfully so) everyone gives him empathy and places blame where it should be; at the perpetrator's feet. We get Coward Punch laws in record speed (rightfully so). Yet a woman walks down the street at 2am and gets raped, bashed or murdered... everyone is asking why was she alone? that she was drunk (like that makes any difference???). That she should have known better. Women are getting murdered in DV incidents in epidemic proportions and what happens? Nada. Women like Rose Batty are told her son's death was essentially her fault for letting him near their son. The govt actually *cuts* funding to front line services in favour of 'educating' us on what DV is

Nope, we are not equal.
    Your second paragraph I disagree, there was a choice - the choice to have children. The father could have taken time off (if her earnings were close to his). Where there's no choice is that only women can get pregnant and have babies and breastfeed. That's where it stops IMO.

I agree with your last two paragraphs especially though which is why I do identify as a feminist, but the pay inequality just always gets in the way of things like your last point which I wholeheartedly agree with.

I haven't fully read the document @FearlessLeader posted however the first page with the images showing the gap isn't enough to convince me of an obvious 'let's pay women less' situation. I've acknowledge that it can and does happen but not to the extent some claim. Unfortunately the media focus more on this side of things where many people can and do pick holes in the stats, but there absolutely should be more of a focus on attitudes towards women and the roll on effects such as DV, rape etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Real estate has one of the highest pay gaps.
    Really??? How?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Your second paragraph I disagree, there was a choice - the choice to have children. The father could have taken time off (if her earnings were close to his). Where there's no choice is that only women can get pregnant and have babies and breastfeed. That's where it stops IMO.
    I get what you mean but that's why I divide 'choice' into loaded choice and autonomous choice. Yes you can choose to not have kids, but just speaking for me personally, my life would be a hollow empty shell without my babies. Obviously I'm not putting down those that choose not to procreate, or those that simply can't get pg but yeah.... I consider that a loaded choice.

As to swapping, if they are on similar pays then what would be the point? they would be the same financially. If she desperately wanted to work for non financial reasons then yes, that would be a great option.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I get what you mean but that's why I divide 'choice' into loaded choice and autonomous choice. Yes you can choose to not have kids, but just speaking for me personally, my life would be a hollow empty shell without my babies. Obviously I'm not putting down those that choose not to procreate, or those that simply can't get pg but yeah.... I consider that a loaded choice.

As to swapping, if they are on similar pays then what would be the point? they would be the same financially. If she desperately wanted to work for non financial reasons then yes, that would be a great option.
    Yep, totally get that. The second option the point would be that they are both equal in that it dies t matter who stays home, their net financial position would be that way because of kids, but I get what you mean about hard and soft choices.

As Chyka in desperate housewives of Melbourne says - "You can have everything, just not at the same time". But then she is in a very equal relationship unlike many of the other women on there. Surely they can't identify as feminists!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I'd definitely call myself a feminist for all the reasons @FearlessLeader has laid out.
    It appears to me that we are set up to expect women to be the primary caregiver in a family unit and this feels really antiquated and unfair to me. Not unfair because as a mother I'm expected to put my career on hold to raise children, but that there is more support for women to do so. My partner would dearly love to have more time off to spend with our LO, but our employer only gives two weeks paternity leave to my 14 weeks maternity leave. (I realise we are lucky to get this at all).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Marshy68 For This Useful Post:

Gentoo  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post

I agree with your last two paragraphs especially though which is why I do identify as a feminist, but the pay inequality just always gets in the way of things like your last point which I wholeheartedly agree with.

I haven't fully read the document @FearlessLeader posted however the first page with the images showing the gap isn't enough to convince me of an obvious 'let's pay women less' situation. I've acknowledge that it can and does happen but not to the extent some claim. Unfortunately the media focus more on this side of things where many people can and do pick holes in the stats, but there absolutely should be more of a focus on attitudes towards women and the roll on effects such as DV, rape etc.

Its ts not an obvious 'let's pay women less' situation. No one suggests that it is. Instead it is a complex issue where many factors give men more opportunities than women. I've mentioned quite a few of those reasons so I don't want to repeat myself again.
    i really strongly disagree that the pay disparity is an issue that gets in the way of other issues. For lots of reasons- it has huge implications on what women then choose in other ways. Eg- if a woman is more likely to be paid less than her partner (which she is by a long way, taking into account that women are paid less than their male counterparts, AND the fact that women work more in industries with lower pay) then it puts the couple in a position where it just makes more financial sense for the woman to take time off to care for kids. That's the position my family is in. It doesn't make financial sense for my partner (who works in a male dominated industry) to take time off, but it does for me to. This isnt our choice. We would prefer that we both worked 4 days.
    lt also feeds directly into mind sets that create DV and sexual violence situations- women are seen as lesser. It creates a situation where women can become financially dependant on her male partner, which makes it very hard to leave. I could go on all day. It's all connected. It is all part of a system that has set up gender roles and attributes and then proclaimed that ONE gender's roles and attributes are superior.
    How many times on here do we read that men don't 'help' with the kids? That they 'can't' cook, that they don't clean? This is because they have learned that it is women's work and they as men are too good for it.
    How many stories of husbands saying that their wife has it easy being home with the kids and that he actually 'works' all day. This is because the patriarchy teaches us that being a breadwinner is manly work and very important, while child care is lowly women's work.
    How many stories of women who desperately want to leave their abusive (or just plain nasty/cheating/whatever) husbands but don't think they will be financially able to. This is because the patriarchy sets up a system in which men earn much more than women, because they are superior in a multitude of ways, meaning that women are financially dependent on their male partners.
    its all important. We can't ask 'I wonder why men keep attacking women so violently?' Without looking at the system that tells them their whole lives that they are better and worth more than us.

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-03-2016),atomicmama  (09-03-2016),AWarmHug  (24-03-2016),Bongley  (11-03-2016),Full House  (09-03-2016),Gentoo  (09-03-2016),hopeful1986  (09-03-2016),Lillynix  (09-03-2016),Ngaiz  (09-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-03-2016),Summer  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm pretty passionate about this topic. Yes, I 100% identify as a feminist.
    To me, it's not about being equal to men. Men are not the standard. It's about women's liberation from a system that continually pushes us down and tells us we are not good enough. I don't want to be "equal" to men. I don't want the ability to abuse my power to hurt others and, in some cases, be praised for it. I want to be treated as a human being. I want to be seen as valuable and good enough. And basically everything that @FearlessLeader said because I can't be bothered typing that much even though I have so much to say

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Because your comment is yet another misconception that I read yesterday. Feminism isn't about wanting the same reward as someone that works harder, but wanting the same opportunity to work as hard and be paid accordingly.
    I don't disagree with you. Any chance you went into this post with a set preconceived notion and that has tainted how you viewed things?