+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A PP asked what we are doing to instigate change. As a teacher I have the opportunity to set a positive role model for 25-30 kids every year. Last year I decided to stop wearing make up to work.

It seems like such a trivial thing, but even a 'quick' 10 minute face means you lose almost an hour a week. It took courage to overcome a lifetime of conditioning that made it clear that for a woman to be considered professional that included makeup. I've never heard of a man's professionalism being questioned because they weren't wearing makeup or "hadn't even bothered to pop on some lippy" before a meeting.

Like I said, a little thing. But a lifetime of full time work and that's more thsn 12 weeks spent slapping on a quick face every morning before work for what is blatantly a double standard.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-03-2016),AWarmHug  (24-03-2016),babyno1onboard  (11-03-2016),Gentoo  (11-03-2016),MsViking  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Ummm wow to you! The day could be used to raise awareness of male dominated health issues, such as suicide.
    The day is used for that though. I think the point being made in response to people saying what about men, is that men, especially white men which is the majority in oz, are top of the proverbial food chain. They are statistically the most privileged group in a whole range of areas.

No one is saying there shouldn't be a Men's Day.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-03-2016),Lillynix  (11-03-2016),MsViking  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    November 19th

If people want this date to be something more people know about then those who feel it's important to recognise need to get vocal about it.
    I remember doing fundraising for breast cancer some time ago and was met with this PA response from this dude "It's always women's illness and issues that are fund raised for. Men's issues never get a mention". I replied "well why don't you do some fundraising for men's issues then? Raise awareness and form a campaign for testicular cancer or male suicide? Women are the main ones fund raising for women's issues, do something to help men's issues then"

He just stared at me *crickets*

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (11-03-2016),LaDiDah  (11-03-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (11-03-2016),MsViking  (11-03-2016),Ngaiz  (11-03-2016),SassyMummy  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a similar experience. A man sent in a very angry email about why is men's cancer (prostate) not recognized the way breast cancer is. And I agree with @delirium if men want to raise awareness they need to go out and do it just as women have had to with breast cancer.

Also, I had no idea there was international men's day.
    I do think if we want to promote gender equality that it is fair men should have this day and it should be recognized in the workplace the same way international womens day is.
    I know lots of people here say women have been downtrodden and don't get equal pay and work opportunity. But on the other hand being the sole breadwinner and expected to be the "provider" can be a burden too. I know of some people who have the belief that if a man wants to be a sahd while the woman goes to work he is considered a bludger which isn't fair.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Ummm wow to you! The day could be used to raise awareness of male dominated health issues, such as suicide.
    It already is. Hence "Movember" and other similar men's health initiatives are generally held around that time.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

hopeful1986  (12-03-2016),Lillynix  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    This has happened to me too, multiple times, even though I'm typically the one in our relationship who manages all the money and business stuff.
    Same, I'm sure my husband just looked at the phone puzzled at the call and had no idea what the RE agent was talking about. I still have quite a few questions about how he came to the figure he did, but I don't feel like following it up now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Same, I'm sure my husband just looked at the phone puzzled at the call and had no idea what the RE agent was talking about. I still have quite a few questions about how he came to the figure he did, but I don't feel like following it up now.
    lol. Mine just said, "I'll get my wife to ring you back seeing as she's in charge of this project"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

Summer  (11-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    It already is. Hence "Movember" and other similar men's health initiatives are generally held around that time.
    The fact that many men don't know that there is an international men's day...and complain about there not being enough awareness, even with something as highly publicised as Movember goes to show they are complaining because there is an international women's day. If there wasn't you wouldn't hesr a peep

The issue isn't that women have more apples in their basket. It's that while we have one apple men complain even though they have the whole basket, but want that one apple we have in our hands.

It's not a woman's job to solve men's problems. Women have had to fight for everything. Men are so used to getting things handed to them on a silver platter, they complain when any effort needs to be made on their part (by that i mean white men mainly).

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-03-2016),MsViking  (12-03-2016),VicPark  (12-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I used to label myself an equalist but I did a lot of research a few years back following some discussions I read on here and realised that my belief of what feminism is was based on publicity of a radicalised minority. A bit like assuming being Muslim means being a member of ISIS. Through that process I realised I actually am, and need to be, a feminist.
    I know what you are referring to, but that isn't how I view feminism at all.
    I still identify as an equalist more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I used to label myself an equalist but I did a lot of research a few years back following some discussions I read on here and realised that my belief of what feminism is was based on publicity of a radicalised minority. A bit like assuming being Muslim means being a member of ISIS. Through that process I realised I actually am, and need to be, a feminist.
    This is exactly me. I stand by my comments on certain aspects being sensationalised, but on the whole I am a feminist and I didn't think I would ever say that prior to those threads you're referring to.