+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    No, are you ?
    No, but I have many friends who are, and they will tell you that it's now common for whomever asked for the date to pay, or for the bill to be split 50/50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I really strongly believe the key is not to make things more flexible for women, or have them do more or extra training, etc. the key IMO is to get MEN to start stepping up to the plate and doing their goddamned share of the child rearing. Child care should not be a women's issue! Flexible work arrangements shouldnt be made on the assumption that only women will take it! Parental leave should be for ALL PARENTS. And men should be doing their part and going to their companies and saying 'I want flexible work arrangements'.
    I'm pretty sick of women being the only ones who think about this shizz. Fathers are parents, too. They shouldn't be allowing the women they love to be treated so bloody poorly in the workplace and the world. They should do their fecking share of the housework so women don't come home from a day at work for the 'second shift'.
    We as women should be telling our partners that we will not shoulder the entire burden of having children. We should teach our sons that they will sure as hell be expected to do their share, even if it doesn't seem 'fair' (because men need it explained to them quite a lot that it's currently completely unfair for women, so they can cop some of the sh*tness too if they want to be parents)
    Men need to stop raping and bashing and killing women
    Men need to stop making sexist jokes
    Men need to stop being the sort of customers that only want to see a male representative
    Men need to stop sexually harassing women in their workplaces
    Men need to stop feeling so threatened when women start working in their male dominated industries
    Men need to play sports and do science experiments with their daughters, and play with dolls and hairdressers with their sons

I think all this polite tinkering with more help for women to somehow make their own way to equality is rubbish. Let the men do something about it for once. They will actually benefit in the long run.
    How are we supposed to resume fisticuffs when you post this.

Stop posting stuff I feel the need to 'like'. It's freaking me out.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

delirium  (09-03-2016),Summer  (10-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Well the men have stood up for long enough
    It's easy to stand up when you have 3 legs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    They're actually academics. They don't do teaching degrees, they have PhDs.
    I was being facetious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Paid the same if no more than your male counterparts. And that there is the problem. Why should you have to work harder? Because you're a woman.
    She didn't say she had to work harder. But seeing as you mention it, when going for jobs and promotions, you need to work harder than all of your competition, whether you're male or female and whether your competition is male or female, you (generally) don't get anywhere by being lazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    How are we supposed to resume fisticuffs when you post this.

Stop posting stuff I feel the need to 'like'. It's freaking me out.
    PEOPLE WHO SLEEP TRAIN ARE MONSTERS! DR PHIL IS AN IDIOT!

C'mon, put ya dukes up!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    No offense but I don't see why this is considered a "tradition" or sign of respect. Yet if someone were to say it is "tradition" for the man to work and woman be at home then that's gender inequality.
    Well it's cultural where I'm from and I'm fine with it. Just because women want equality doesn't mean they don't want some good old fashioned romance thrown in the mix. What's next the guy buys you flowers and its sexist...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    She didn't say she had to work harder. But seeing as you mention it, when going for jobs and promotions, you need to work harder than all of your competition, whether you're male or female and whether your competition is male or female, you (generally) don't get anywhere by being lazy!
    Yes she did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I guess for some people it's culture and tradition especially on a first date. It's a sign of respect. Even in my group of friends the men pay because to them it's seen as an embarrassment if a woman pays. Its kinda hard to explain.
    I think culture often plays a key role in either hindering or encouraging gender equality.

I would get the ****s if a man continually offered to pay for me. I would be politley miffed if someone insisted on paying on a first date - I would try to counteract by passing for dessert or after dinner drinks. That's how I've been brought up though - like a man (seriously I was the son my parents never had!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes it is nice to be pampered and have someone pay for you and buy you things. It just shouldn't be expected is my point. If women want to be treated equal you can't pick and choose which parts are equal and which parts aren't.