+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    True, I think their pay is cruddy too for what they do, but looking at NSW pay rates, NSW police start out on more, and get larger increases quicker than teachers. Wages 5 years out as still only a Constable is what teachers can get at the 10 year mark.
    Police put their lives on the line every single day, it would only make sense that their pays rise quicker - to reward them for longer service and continuing to out their lives on the line (not to mention the other impacts on their mental health) Can't even compare it to teaching (sorry teachers, I value your work immensely and know it's tough and I think your pay should also be better, but police aren't at all a fair comparison).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I recall (from my morning tea on international womens day) that public service jobs had the smallest pay gap for gender (it was 8% or 9% or something) so pretty much they are all probably paid rubbish.

Finance has the highest gap from memory.
    I'm more taking about the pay differences between trades/sectors. IT is a 3 year degree, is not dangerous in any way yet within govt sectors earn up to double what social workers do. While it's not as dangerous as being a cop, I could tell you some scary stories of situations I've been in

I just don't buy the reasoning that women's trades tend to be govt funded and that's the reason for the bad pay. Bc within govt depts pretty much every sector is needed and utilised. Yet teachers, social workers and nurses sit on the bottom of the pile income wise.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default International Women's Day and feminism

I think I opened a can of worms with the occupation comparison 😬
    All I really meant was, across the board male dominated fields earn more than female dominated fields regardless of level of skill or difficultly. There are probably lots of factors at play (like the fact that it's true that more women work for govt and more men in the private sector) but there have been studies that allow for that and it still stands. If you line up comparable skill and difficulty levels, women dominated fields earn less. It seems fairly generally accepted that the reason this is so is because 'women's' work is undervalued, although this is not really something you could test for. It's just a case of deduction if all other factors are removed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

True, I think their pay is cruddy too for what they do, but looking at NSW pay rates, NSW police start out on more, and get larger increases quicker than teachers. Wages 5 years out as still only a Constable is what teachers can get at the 10 year mark.
    When the NSW government froze public service wage increases that could not exceed inflation, the police were exempt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Slightly off topic but I am watching first dates. In all bar one the man pays. Only once have I seen a man ask the female if she would go dutch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Engineers get paid more because they need to make sure for example buildings don't fall on people and kill them! It's an extremely risky line of work should any unfortunate errors occur.

But as jontu said the police force are very male dominated yet their pay is rubbish - as are paramedics and fire fighters, both male dominated.

I agree it's supply and demand and who said there's high demand for teachers!? Universities are spitting out teachers faster than older teachers retire / schools grow larger. There is only a shortage of maths and science teachers.
    Teachers are the ones teaching the engineers

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-03-2016),delirium  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm probably going to get flamed for this but oh well!

If you got into a career that you knew was low paying don't be surprised if you don't get paid well. If you want to chase the money then purse a career that pays better.

It's a couples decision as to who (if either parent) stays home with the kids. There's no rule saying it has to be the mother. If you don't want to be a SAHM then don't be.

For those saying they will lose Centrelink benefits if they go back to work and end up with less money you still have a choice to work.

If males get better pay rises because they push the point and sell themselves more than females. Then females should start pushing the point too!

Ladies - have confidence in yourself and go get what you want. Take charge and don't leave your happiness in the hand of others.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm more taking about the pay differences between trades/sectors. IT is a 3 year degree, is not dangerous in any way yet within govt sectors earn up to double what social workers do. While it's not as dangerous as being a cop, I could tell you some scary stories of situations I've been in

I just don't buy the reasoning that women's trades tend to be govt funded and that's the reason for the bad pay. Bc within govt depts pretty much every sector is needed and utilised. Yet teachers, social workers and nurses sit on the bottom of the pile income wise.
    I agree

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'm probably going to get flamed for this but oh well!

If you got into a career that you knew was low paying don't be surprised if you don't get paid well. If you want to chase the money then purse a career that pays better.

It's a couples decision as to who (if either parent) stays home with the kids. There's no rule saying it has to be the mother. If you don't want to be a SAHM then don't be.

For those saying they will lose Centrelink benefits if they go back to work and end up with less money you still have a choice to work.

If males get better pay rises because they push the point and sell themselves more than females. Then females should start pushing the point too!

Ladies - have confidence in yourself and go get what you want. Take charge and don't leave your happiness in the hand of others.
    This has all been covered extensively. Gender inequality will not be solved by a peppy attitude. There are deeply entrenched ideas and customs in our culture that prevent women 'just going and getting what they want'.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-03-2016),atomicmama  (10-03-2016),binnielici  (10-03-2016),Bongley  (11-03-2016),Summer  (10-03-2016),Waggers70  (10-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Police put their lives on the line every single day, it would only make sense that their pays rise quicker - to reward them for longer service and continuing to out their lives on the line (not to mention the other impacts on their mental health) Can't even compare it to teaching (sorry teachers, I value your work immensely and know it's tough and I think your pay should also be better, but police aren't at all a fair comparison).
    Clearly you've never been to my school

Just yesterday had a child running around throwing stones and jumping on our cars! A teacher was threatened by a child who said they would slit her throat. Awesome!

But really. Just because a teacher's job isn't as risky or dangerous, doesn't mean anything. It's the most important job. You're reading this thread. And for that you can thank a teacher. There is no more important skill than reading.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-03-2016),delirium  (09-03-2016)