+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    . I'm not saying teaching is better/harder than engineering. Just that it's a longish very demanding course and the average person has no idea the time teachers put in - yet the pay considering all that is sh*t. Many of us are arguing that is bc it is female dominated.
    I just had a thought. Maybe the low pay for teachers/nurses etc is due to the fact they are mass publicly funded employment fields? Paying more means jacking up taxes - something the government is probably not able/prepared to do that often.

Not saying it's right. And I love my teacher friends and my ds1's teachers. Just trying to offer an alternative theory for the crappy pay.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-03-2016),Jontu  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I just had a thought. Maybe the low pay for teachers/nurses etc is due to the fact they are mass publicly funded employment fields? Paying more means jacking up taxes - something the government is probably not able/prepared to do that often.

Not saying it's right. And I love my teacher friends and my ds1's teachers. Just trying to offer an alternative theory for the crappy pay.
    I think this is probably right. They are traditionally funded by the public purse and getting money from government is a nightmare.

Would apply to the police as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    I don't think pay is lower just because it is female dominated. What about the police force? Male dominated and a very tough job in my opinion. But the pay is terrible too.

True, I think their pay is cruddy too for what they do, but looking at NSW pay rates, NSW police start out on more, and get larger increases quicker than teachers. Wages 5 years out as still only a Constable is what teachers can get at the 10 year mark.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    What do you attribute men being paid higher than women? Due to the nature or industry of work or because of discrimination against woman and paying them less, because they're female?
    Sorry having issues linking a recentish report re: this but there are a lot more industries (mainly 'male' industries) where men are paid more than women out of uni.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Engineers get paid more because they need to make sure for example buildings don't fall on people and kill them! It's an extremely risky line of work should any unfortunate errors occur.

But as jontu said the police force are very male dominated yet their pay is rubbish - as are paramedics and fire fighters, both male dominated.

I agree it's supply and demand and who said there's high demand for teachers!? Universities are spitting out teachers faster than older teachers retire / schools grow larger. There is only a shortage of maths and science teachers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a feminist. Gender discrimination is real. I have been told at interviews that I would have been hired if I was male, rather than a female of child bearing age. I know several of my male colleagues working the same job as me with less experience are earning up to 20k more per year. I know when I returned to work part time after parental leave that the people I worked for were unhappy with me taking 1 & 1/2 days personal leave to care for my sick child, but were fine with another male colleague using personal leave post elective cosmetic surgery.

I must say that I often find women to be more judgemental of other women which is really sad. My current workplace is amazingly supportive thankfully, as working full time with a 3 year old and becoming a single parent is incredibly challenging.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Waggers70 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

Yes I do believe that is part of it. But I can think of lots of govt funded positions that are well paid... and male dominated. Pollies come straight to mind their entitlements amount to millions. Local Council positions is another. These are often filled by middle aged men with little formal quals who've had their finger in the proverbial community pie for years, they are often business owners. And they get paid a mint. IT even within the govt sector is quite highly paid... and male dominated.
    Last edited by delirium; 09-03-2016 at 20:44.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Waggers70 View Post
    I must say that I often find women to be more judgemental of other women which is really sad. My current workplace is amazingly supportive thankfully, as working full time with a 3 year old and becoming a single parent is incredibly challenging.
    I have noticed this in my workplace actually. My work has a lot of female 'middle managers' and team leaders. The ones at my work are so very much more judgemental - and frown upon flexible working arrangements.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-03-2016),Waggers70  (09-03-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I really strongly believe the key is not to make things more flexible for women, or have them do more or extra training, etc. the key IMO is to get MEN to start stepping up to the plate and doing their goddamned share of the child rearing. Child care should not be a women's issue! Flexible work arrangements shouldnt be made on the assumption that only women will take it! Parental leave should be for ALL PARENTS. And men should be doing their part and going to their companies and saying 'I want flexible work arrangements'.
    I'm pretty sick of women being the only ones who think about this shizz. Fathers are parents, too. They shouldn't be allowing the women they love to be treated so bloody poorly in the workplace and the world. They should do their fecking share of the housework so women don't come home from a day at work for the 'second shift'.
    We as women should be telling our partners that we will not shoulder the entire burden of having children. We should teach our sons that they will sure as hell be expected to do their share, even if it doesn't seem 'fair' (because men need it explained to them quite a lot that it's currently completely unfair for women, so they can cop some of the sh*tness too if they want to be parents)
    Men need to stop raping and bashing and killing women
    Men need to stop making sexist jokes
    Men need to stop being the sort of customers that only want to see a male representative
    Men need to stop sexually harassing women in their workplaces
    Men need to stop feeling so threatened when women start working in their male dominated industries
    Men need to play sports and do science experiments with their daughters, and play with dolls and hairdressers with their sons

I think all this polite tinkering with more help for women to somehow make their own way to equality is rubbish. Let the men do something about it for once. They will actually benefit in the long run.

14. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (09-03-2016),atomicmama  (10-03-2016),AWarmHug  (24-03-2016),babyno1onboard  (11-03-2016),BettyW  (09-03-2016),binnielici  (10-03-2016),Bongley  (11-03-2016),Gentoo  (09-03-2016),hopeful1986  (10-03-2016),NoteToSelf  (10-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-03-2016),smallpotatoes  (09-03-2016),Stretched  (09-03-2016),VicPark  (09-03-2016),Waggers70  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes I do believe that is part of it. But I can think of lots of govt funded positions that are well paid... and male dominated. Pollies come straight to mind their entitlements amount to millions. Local Council positions is another. These are often filled by middle aged men with little formal quals who've had their finger in the proverbial community pie for years, they are often business owners. And they get paid a mint. IT even within the business sector is quite highly paid... and male dominated.
    I recall (from my morning tea on international womens day) that public service jobs had the smallest pay gap for gender (it was 8% or 9% or something) so pretty much they are all probably paid rubbish.

Finance has the highest gap from memory.