+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 202
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    858
    Thanks
    949
    Thanked
    604
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I just did a quick google-
    a teachers average wage in Aus is about $64k
    A civil engineer $71k

    We pay the public servants who make our roundabouts more than those who are teaching the next generation. I wonder why on earth that would be?
    As a female engineer (and a feminist), I'm going to dispute this one as a bad example. I get paid more than a teacher because I did more study (longer degree) and because there are fewer people with the skills required to be a certified engineer than people with the skills required for being a teacher. It's supply and demand.

    That is not to say that, as a female engineer, I haven't experienced situations where my gender resulted in fewer opportunities or less money or just being plain overlooked, compared to my male counterparts. Direct and indirect discrimination within the engineering profession is alive and well.

    I also acknowledge that women who would otherwise make fine engineers may never enter the profession, because social norms tend to encourage women into so-called "softer" careers and away from the physical sciences.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (09-03-2016),DJ Nette  (09-03-2016)

  3. #92
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,690
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Can you see that often a woman will make those choices based on spending her whole life being socially conditioned to believe that it is a forgone conclusion that she will make those certain choices?
    .
    Yes I can see that. I also think that women make those choices because they just want to. Or don't plan in advance. Or don't want to chase he money. Or just want to be with their young kids at home.

  4. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,200
    Thanked
    16,892
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    As a female engineer (and a feminist), I'm going to dispute this one as a bad example. I get paid more than a teacher because I did more study (longer degree)
    Primary, secondary and early childhood are 4 year degrees now and honestly, they are really demanding. They also include months of unpaid blocks of prac.

    How long is engineering?

  5. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    873
    Thanks
    154
    Thanked
    300
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am and always have been a feminist, I really don't understand when a woman says she isn't.

    I disagree with some of the pp's who say staying home is the woman's choice after children, no often it just financially easier. Or it's expected or she doesn't have other options.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (09-03-2016),Bongley  (11-03-2016)

  7. #95
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,200
    Thanked
    16,892
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes I can see that. I also think that women make those choices because they just want to. Or don't plan in advance. Or don't want to chase he money. Or just want to be with their young kids at home.
    I actually agree with this. I'm one of these women. I'm not interested in money, I love being home with my kids and I don't regret it even a tiny bit. But we aren't the ones missing out bc we *do* choose. Many women for a million reasons don't get to.

    Just bc there are women like me that do choose doesn't mean that inequality doesn't exist or that there isn't a glass ceiling for working women.

  8. #96
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,724
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes I can see that. I also think that women make those choices because they just want to. Or don't plan in advance. Or don't want to chase he money. Or just want to be with their young kids at home.
    I get so frustrated arguing with you. I've covered these points off already. You are selectively quoting me and ignoring the parts where I address this directly. You're going around in circles so I'll step away.

  9. #97
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,724
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Primary, secondary and early childhood are 4 year degrees now and honestly, they are really demanding. They also include months of unpaid blocks of prac.

    How long is engineering?
    And there is a massive teacher shortage looming, so it's not an issue of supply and demand either.

  10. #98
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,690
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I get so frustrated arguing with you. I've covered these points off already. You are selectively quoting me and ignoring the parts where I address this directly. You're going around in circles so I'll step away.
    Look don't be offended please. If anything it has more to do with me trying to rush responses in between wrangling kids. Not intentionally selectively quoting.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    FearlessLeader  (09-03-2016)

  12. #99
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,724
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Look don't be offended please. If anything it has more to do with me trying to rush responses in between wrangling kids. Not intentionally selectively quoting.
    Ok fair play I'll let you get the kids down and we can get back to fisticuffs 👊
    I just don't want to be going round in circles repeating myself because I'm writing a damn lot today!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

    VicPark  (09-03-2016)

  14. #100
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,003
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Primary, secondary and early childhood are 4 year degrees now and honestly, they are really demanding. They also include months of unpaid blocks of prac.

    How long is engineering?
    I'd like to chime in here as someone who's worked beside engineers for most of my life. It's one of the hardest uni courses you can do. Next to architecture I have the utmost respect for people who get through it. It's extraordinarily difficult.

    I would have loved to have been an engineer but just wasn't smart enough.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    Gentoo  (09-03-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. International clinics
    By dragonflyblu in forum Egg Donation
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-03-2016, 05:01
  2. International traveling egg donors
    By Daddy dreams Melbourne in forum Egg Donation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-11-2015, 12:32
  3. International Bereaved Mothers Day
    By MaximumStarlight in forum Pregnancy Loss Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 09:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!