+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sydney's Royal Easter show

I haven't been to the show since I had one child who was a baby. So, quite some time.
    My eldest child has given up on asking to go.
    My youngest doesn't know enough about it.
    DD is nagging and nagging. All her friends go apparently.

I really don't think I can afford it. Even if I can, I think I would resent spending so much money on it. Also, crowds.

But... I guess I can't avoid it forever, so I am thinking about it.

I would like to hear from people who have gone to the show with kids.
    How much do you spend on the day, for how many people?
    How can I spend as little as possible?
    Are the crowds really that hideous?

I mentioned to my mother that it would be more doable if I took one child per year. She said that that's mean! Is it?

Overall, is it worth the money and effort? Would you recommend going, or staying away?

I wanted to bribe them this year with a trip to the Gold Coast instead, in the holidays, but I've just been doing some sums and I don't think I can afford it. :/
    Money is annoying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    how old are you kids? what is the age gap?
    do you have any stuff you don't need to sell on gumtree to come up with the extra money?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can definitely go without spending much! Though that depends somewhat on what your children are into and want out of it...
    All the things I love are essentially free after entry - seeing all the animals, the arts and crafts, the baking, free food, watching the shows on the main area. You can take your own food and drinks too.
    If they insist on rides and showbags and junk food and toys then those will cost a lot more.

For the record, I haven't been with children, but I have been whilst being a penniless student

The crowds are definitely awful though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kids are 8-13.

Thanks
    Reviews

It's a fun day, but it's extremely expensive. You could lower the cost by bringing food from home, not buying show bags, not going on too many rides etc. Crowds are really dependant on when you go, but the busy days are obviously really, really busy.

Personally I'd rather go to the Gold Coast theme parks, if I had a choice.

ETA: Ye I do think it's mean to take only 1 kid per year. Sorry!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok with those ages i'd not just take one... the other is bound to be upset. as pp said, there are lots of things to see that are free.. i do this usually and allow for 2-3 rides each and a small $10-15 showbag. for food i just get some hot chips and a corn on the cob (which is to die for.) or you can bring your own food.

Thanks
    Reviews

Is there an opportunity for your kids to go through school? Or roping grandparents to take then instead.

The free stuff kids can find quite boring such as the arts and crafts pavilions etc.

Show bags are full of garbage they can't sell and are not the value for money they used to be.

On hot days you will fight to the death for seating in the shade, rainy days for shelter.

It's fun as a kid, just ok as an adult, but as a parent it is an exhausting, crowded, expensive nightmare. But we do it because the kids love it.

And no, take all the kids or none at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My top tips:

- give them a set amount of money to spend on show bags i.e. $20 each. It's up to them if they buy 1x $20 bag or 4x $5 bags.

- if you think they'll ask for lots of food etc maybe steer them to show bags with food in them. Doesn't have to be all junk, I know at the Ekka (Brisbane show) they had bags with popcorn and water. Slightly better option than chips/chocolate/soft drink if you're not keen on these. Saves money on snacks throughout the day if they can snack on food from their showbags.

- the food pavilions often have samples and stuff. At the Ekka we have a Woolworths fresh food pavilion with better options than the general deep fried food you get at the food vans. They also have a Coon cheese stall that sells $2 toasted cheese sandwiches!

- go later in the day. Have lunch at home before you go. The nighttime entertainment is what I love about the show (I assume it's the same in Sydney), and the bonus is that it's free.

Rides I have no tips on because I think they're a waste of money. Last time I went on the Ferris wheel it cost me $10 and it's a piddly size. Not worth it IMO. Kids might see it differently haha.

I'm sure there will be a website you can have a squiz at so you can get a better grip on costs of things like showbags, rides, entry costs etc. It should help you budget better and work out if it's a feasible option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We love the show! DS went for the first time last year and can't wait to go again - we went every year as a child from the age of 5 and now my dad and me take the grandkids - I'm lucky as instead of eggs mum and dad buy the grandkids Easter show tickets and bags ! It's very expensive, the food is very pricey, the ride tickets are as well so be prepared - we spent easily over $100 per kid on rides and show bags last year - we let them pick a certain amount of bags to get, they choose them before we get their so at the end of the day we go buy the designated bags and leave!

It opens at 9am - we always get there about 8.45 , do rides first, then exhibits , then animals then bags then go - we are usually out by 2pm - we have school age kids, I'm assuming as teenagers they would want to go at night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    My top tips:

- give them a set amount of money to spend on show bags i.e. $20 each. It's up to them if they buy 1x $20 bag or 4x $5 bags.

- if you think they'll ask for lots of food etc maybe steer them to show bags with food in them. Doesn't have to be all junk, I know at the Ekka (Brisbane show) they had bags with popcorn and water. Slightly better option than chips/chocolate/soft drink if you're not keen on these. Saves money on snacks throughout the day if they can snack on food from their showbags.

- the food pavilions often have samples and stuff. At the Ekka we have a Woolworths fresh food pavilion with better options than the general deep fried food you get at the food vans. They also have a Coon cheese stall that sells $2 toasted cheese sandwiches!

- go later in the day. Have lunch at home before you go. The nighttime entertainment is what I love about the show (I assume it's the same in Sydney), and the bonus is that it's free.

Rides I have no tips on because I think they're a waste of money. Last time I went on the Ferris wheel it cost me $10 and it's a piddly size. Not worth it IMO. Kids might see it differently haha.

I'm sure there will be a website you can have a squiz at so you can get a better grip on costs of things like showbags, rides, entry costs etc. It should help you budget better and work out if it's a feasible option.
    Oooh I LOVE your first two tips, thanks!

So I've had a look at the website. It's $100 to get in the door. $110 for ride tickets that would probably only get them 4-5 rides each. Most expensive showbag is $30, so I could say they can have $30 and choose whatever bags they want (I think they would prefer food ones over cheap plastic cr@p toys).
    So that's still $300 just on basics, and setting strict limits... I worry it'll be stressful and I'll feel guilty as they would want lots of bags/rides like their friends do and I will have to say no.

What about the Twilight entry? This year it is after 4pm. Still too rushed?

You can pay an extra $10pp to get a guaranteed seat in the stadium for the evening. Worth it or not?

Hmmm.... still just considering it.

Keep the replies coming, they are very helpful!