+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Montessori method

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Montessori, IB are both based on forms of using inquiry learning for kids to explore the real world, investigate and basically become independent learners.
    I was thinking more about the detail level. I'm still on a learning curve about IB myself. They do seem quite different in other ways.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I was thinking more about the detail level. I'm still on a learning curve about IB myself. They do seem quite different in other ways.
    The delivery is different but at the core is problem solving and learning to learn rather than being merely content driven. IB is great and basically inquiry learning.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (08-03-2016),Sonja  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Following. Because I'm considering high schools for DD1 and because DD2 is at a Montessori daycare and so far I'm incredibly impressed at how it complements her natural tendencies.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    This is in no way trying to shift your beliefs in education or schools, but as someone doing the primary ed course atm, the public system is more and more taking snippets from all of these different styles. IB learning is becoming quite common in science/HSIE and teachers are being taught this as an important component of this subject. Linking learning with real life objects/examples is all through the Curriculum outcomes in all subjects. Steiner imagination is linked through the English modules linking more theory based stuffed into writing, reflective journals. And student led learning has become quite common in reading, where children are encouraged to read the books *they* want, even if they have read them heaps before. Many pre service teachers are being taught to have their new class goal set and write their aims for the year and the teacher develops differentiated plans for each child within that years curriculum perameters.

Again, I'm not trying to sway people against 'non main******'. What I am trying to point out if that 'non main******' is often now main******, it's just that catholic/private/public teachers take the best bits of everything. Education has come a long way since we were little kids.
    Last edited by delirium; 08-03-2016 at 17:14.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyla  (08-03-2016),cheeeeesecake  (08-03-2016),Stretched  (10-03-2016),witherwings  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    This is in no way trying to shift your beliefs in education or schools, but as someone doing the primary ed course atm, the public system is more and more taking snippets from all of these different styles. IB learning is becoming quite common in science/HSIE and teachers are being taught this as an important component of this subject. Linking learning with real life objects/examples is all through the Curriculum outcomes in all subjects. Steiner imagination is linked through the English modules linking more theory based stuffed into writing, reflective journals. And student led learning has become quite common in reading, where children are encouraged to read the books *they* want, even if they have read them heaps before. Many pre service teachers are being taught to have their new class goal set and write their aims for the year and the teacher develops differentiated plans for each child within that years curriculum perameters.

Again, I'm not trying to sway people against 'non main******'. What I am trying to point out if that 'non main******' is often now main******, it's just that catholic/private/public teachers take the best bits of everything. Education has come a long way since we were little kids.
    I mostly agree I've lectured in a subject specifically for this for undergraduate teachers and been an AP at state schools and any school doing anything remotely "good" is taking the best bits and using it. Using a "method" in itself is limiting but good teachers will always personalise for their students regardless of a schools marketing or philosophy. I will add though that a lot of schools who "spout" the language of a philosophy, often don't do it or do it well, that goes for state, independent, Catholic.
    Last edited by babyla; 08-03-2016 at 17:56.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (08-03-2016),delirium  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I mostly agree I've lectured in a subject specifically for this for undergraduate teachers and been an AP at state schools and any school doing anything remotely "good" is taking the best bits and using it. Using a "method" in itself is limiting but good teachers will always personalise for their students regardless of a schools marketing or philosophy. I will add though that a lot of schools who "spout" the language of a philosophy, often don't do it or do it well, that goes for state, independent, Catholic.
    Completely agree 100%.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @delirium my mother is a teacher (retired but she says once a teacher) over of 40 years experience teaching in early childhood. She always worked in public schools and is a staunch advocate of public schooling BUT she is horrified at the national curriculum, the increasing formalisation of early childhood education and the move away from play based learning.

It is the early years of schooling I am most concerned about for DS2. I want him to learn to love learning, I want him to be excited by it and to start at an age where it is developmentally appropriate for him to do so.

Schooling has changed so much since I sent DS1 off to a main****** catholic school. He started preschool turning 6 in April. It was a 5 day fortnight (2 one week and 3 the next). He wore no uniform and shoes were kicked off at the door. There was a mud pit and they spent their day in play based learning.

If school was still like that DS2 would be entering main******. Instead I have had to look elsewhere.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-03-2016),Tiny Dancer  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Montessori, IB are both based on forms of using inquiry learning for kids to explore the real world, investigate and basically become independent learners.
    This - I just never clicked the two are similar - our school is not Montessori based but does the IB ( of which I knew nothing about until researching schools for DS )

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    @delirium my mother is a teacher (retired but she says once a teacher) over of 40 years experience teaching in early childhood. She always worked in public schools and is a staunch advocate of public schooling BUT she is horrified at the national curriculum, the increasing formalisation of early childhood education and the move away from play based learning.

It is the early years of schooling I am most concerned about for DS2. I want him to learn to love learning, I want him to be excited by it and to start at an age where it is developmentally appropriate for him to do so.

Schooling has changed so much since I sent DS1 off to a main****** catholic school. He started preschool turning 6 in April. It was a 5 day fortnight (2 one week and 3 the next). He wore no uniform and shoes were kicked off at the door. There was a mud pit and they spent their day in play based learning.

If school was still like that DS2 would be entering main******. Instead I have had to look elsewhere.
    I agree with your mum. The national curriculum sucks. I'm in vic and we have ausvels which if used correctly uses inquiry to deliver content and drive problem based learning, investigations, real world connections etc.. National curriculum is content not process.

I want exactly the same for my DS. I found a school which does incredible inquiry learning but the prep grades are 24 which kinda kills me.

There are main****** schools like that, I've worked at them. Which state are you in?
    Last edited by babyla; 08-03-2016 at 18:17.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (08-03-2016),Tiny Dancer  (08-03-2016)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I've only heard of IB for year 11 and 12. Are there many primary schools that do it?