+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I find it funny in this thread that there is a lot of talk of montessori philosophy and practice being too strict/restrictive when I've also heard the opposite elsewhere - that it isn't structured enough and there is too much freedom.
    Before I start I'm wondering if we need a spinoff?

How is Montessori restrictive? Take the pink tower for example it is a self-correcting tower, it can only be built one way. If a child instead tries to lay them side by side they will be stopped and redirected to build it 'correctly'. How is this not restrictive?

The same can be said for all of the equipment used in a Montessori program.

Yes children are free to move about and to chose what activities to engage in and obviously this is very different from a traditional child care or school environment. However they are not free to interact with that environment in whatever manner they chose - that is how it is restrictive.

Edit - Ok just reread my last paragraph and appreciate that no school will let children interact with their environment without rules. But should they chose to use the pink tower to make a road, or to build a house then IMO they should be able to - the fact they are not is what is restrictive and rigid.
    Last edited by binnielici; 08-03-2016 at 14:32.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I wasn't asking a question @binnielici. I was stating an observation.

How about you play devil's advocate for a minute and answer the question of "how is montessori too unstructured?" too. 😂

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't asking a question @binnielici. I was stating an observation.

How about you play devil's advocate for a minute and answer the question of "how is montessori too unstructured?" too. ������
    lol ok I'm out of here I'm clearly taking this whole thing too seriously

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    lol ok I'm out of here I'm clearly taking this whole thing too seriously
    Maybe haha. There's nothing wrong with being passionate!

Out of curiosity, do you have a favourite education philosophy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've always been under the impression that Montessori school is all about open learning and allowing the child to choose how they want to engage in learning, and having composite classes so the children are mixing in with older and younger kids.. This is what I thought the point of difference was, and this was something we were considering for our son, but by the time we looked into it, it was too late to get on a waiting list. He only started childcare at age 2.

I didn't even know about the independence and work/play/ using real life objects, not play things etc.. I guess I just was completely misinformed.

I wasn't criticising Montessori method. Just going on the comments made in this thread, I was surprised that parents would be ok with a school environment that doesn't have team sports or imaginative play. I see now that the comments by other posters might have been not entirely accurate.

Having said all that, I don't see how one method is better than others. It's obviously different, but wouldn't suit every child. I went to a traditional preschool and primary school, high school, university, was an independent child and teen and then adult, am successful and social and happy etc.

I think the personality of the child and the home environment contributes more to the development of a child than the type of delivery of a curriculum, and whether they can tie their shoes at 3.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe haha. There's nothing wrong with being passionate!

Out of curiosity, do you have a favourite education philosophy?
    DS2 will be attending a Steiner school - honestly though there are aspects of Steiner I don't agree with too. However on the whole I am far more comfortable with a Steiner education than current main****** schooling FOR DS2.

It was looking for something for him that led me to research Montessori, Steiner, Reggiano and other alternative philosophies. DS2 will not cope in the current main****** education environment.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Montessori method

How old is your son, op?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    @witherwings that's exactly why dh and I have looked at alternative education philosophies to main******. We both didn't reach our potential in main****** schooling.

That makes sense @binnielici I think those who follow montessori and steiner are the harshest critics of each others philosophies. I looked into Steiner when researching montessori but there were just some aspects to it I did not like.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    DS2 will be attending a Steiner school - honestly though there are aspects of Steiner I don't agree with too. However on the whole I am far more comfortable with a Steiner education than current main****** schooling FOR DS2.

It was looking for something for him that led me to research Montessori, Steiner, Reggiano and other alternative philosophies. DS2 will not cope in the current main****** education environment.
    I'm in exactly the same boat. My son started prep as a 4 yo and main********* school is a no go for us. His prep is a mix of mainly the reggiano philosophy with a touch of Steiner, Montessori and IB thrown in. From year 1 it's IB.

I like that the teacher has picked through the philosophies and worked out what she thinks works best for boys. It happens to fit well with me too.

But it's a very expensive school so they have the ability to do that.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-03-2016),binnielici  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    His prep is a mix of mainly the reggiano philosophy with a touch of Steiner, Montessori and IB thrown in. From year 1 it's IB.
    Is the reggiano philosophy the same as Reggio or different again?