+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Wedding dress dry cleaning help/advice

Just a bit of a vent!!

So I got married a few years ago and after my wedding I got my dress professionally dry cleaned. It cost me around $200. When I got it back it was all nicely boxed up so I just opened the lid and had a peek inside and then closed it again stored it for the last few years. Anyway today I opened it as I'm sending pictures to a girl who's interested in buying it.

I am so upset because there are marks ALL over it! Dirt marks, its like they never cleaned it at all! And to make it worse, it is a corset dress and the corset ribbon is missing! I don't even know what to do 😢

And the so called blue 'acid free' paper has actually turned the corset loops blue too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you sure the dirt marks aren't actually mould?
    The missing corset ribbon is disappointing, but that could easily be replaced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely not mouldy, the marks are distinct and yellowy, I remember spilling a little bit of Coke down the front on my wedding night and that is one of the marks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sounds like mould. If you didn't air it out when you first got it home is say it probably had moisture on it still. What a shame, hopefully it can be fixed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They really should have told you if they couldn't remove marks 😞 I don't know what could be done now though, given it has been so long and they would probably put the onus back on you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not mould. Mould is black or green. This is like a yellowy colour. I was also never told I had to air it out... Why?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mould can definately be yellow. Any clothes in a confined space can trap moisture, just with changing temperatures. That's why clothes not worn in a while smell musty.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. Can you take it back to the cleaners and talk to them about it? Especially if you think a particular stain has been there the whole time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While it may well not be mould, it isn't just black or green. We had a mould issue and some of my evening gowns ended up with light brown dirt like spots over them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm taking it back this afternoon to show her the blue marks in the corset loops, and also the other marks.

She said she's never heard of the acid free paper leaving colour makes.. Well the paper is dark blue so I don't know how the figure the colour won't colour something it's touching

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All the baby clothes I napisanned, washed on high temps and stored stain free came out of the bag 2yrs later covered in yellow marks all down the front of each piece - rewashed and put in the sun and marks gone.
    Not sure if it was mould but it only came through storage.

Perhaps it just needs another clean an it'll be back to new? Fingers crossed