+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time aged 35 from the UK

Hi. Just found out my Australian partner and I are (unexpectedly) expecting. I'm 35 he is 41. I've been here since May last year. We are a bit in shock as we have run up lots of credit card debt to get me here and I am just allowed to work! So terrible timing but we are getting used to the idea. I'm also not sure how far along we are as my scan says 8 weeks 6 days but the blob measures 5.32cm which doesn't seem to add up. As all my friends and family are on the other side of the world thought I would make some online friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations! Where in oz are you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Gemma.. looking at your postcode, are you in Townsville??
    If so, I'm arriving in Townsville in about 7 weeks time, also from UK (currently in Brisbane) and we're around the same age, if you fancy a cuppa when I arrive?
    It's hard going having a little one here when all your support network is thousands of miles away, but you'll be fine. In regards to your financial situation.. there is no good time to start a family, so try not to dwell on that.

Nats

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes currently in Townsville - originally from Peterborough.

You are coming up here at a good time - we've just come through the 40+ degree heat which nicely coincided with morning sickness and moving house.

Are you defense Nats? Yes defo meet up - I do have some Australian friends then a few weeks ago met up with another English girl and was so excited to be able to reference Waitrose/Chris Evans/Prawn Cocktail Walkers without feeling like I live in a bubble.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol, no.. I'm a nurse studying midwifery. Actually.. if you want a student midwife to support you throughout your pregnancy, I can do that!
    The summer in Brisbane has almost ruined me so I'm glad to be moving in the cooler months. I was in Townsville for a week in January, I got lucky that week.. wasn't too unbearable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I already have a student midwife tagging along! Any excuse to make a new friend.... whereabouts in uk are u from? What brought you over here?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GemmaLouise For This Useful Post:

Papillon  (07-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time aged 35 from the UK

That's good, if your going through TVL hospital it may be one of the student midwives on course with me 😊

I'm from Glasgow. Came out just over 6 years ago for the same reason as everyone else, better weather & lifestyle. Haven't been disappointed, no regrets. Got our citizenship couple of years ago.

I must say though, having my little boy did unsettle me for a while. Knowing that he's going to grow up without aunts, uncles, grandparents & cousins.. (My husband is Scottish also).. didn't hit me until he was born, C'est la vie!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah. I came out for my australian boyfriend. I have to say this lifestyle so far doesnt come anywhere near my old one im struggling to find anything to like. At least we have jasons family all local. I hadnt really thought of that side of it. How old is your boy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I can imagine. Your reason for migrating is different to most couples, and Townsville couldn't be more further removed from the life you've left behind in the UK.
    We started out in Perth, then Brisbane now heading to Townsville. I just want a more simple life with a slower pace.
    I love Glasgow & Scotland, I miss the people, but the opportunities here are better and my little one, who is 20months old will have a better upbringing here, or at least I'm hoping he will. It's hard being an outsider, and I still feel like an outsider most of the time, just got to focus on the positives or else I get a little depressed.
    Would your partner relocate to the UK with you if you decided that is what you'd like to do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also think having a kid will change my perspective and might not crave london so much. Yes we have a long term plan to settle in uk but i want a good 3-5 years here to get the full experience. I know what you mean about being an outsider but the good thing about tvl is that its a military town so lots of organised stuff for women to get together and make friends.