+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh I also wanted to add, I wouldn't rush with moving him. The only reason we moved our boy into a bed is because we needed the cot for DS2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DD was a very active sleeper when in her cot. I moved her to a bed at 24 months and she adapted well. I had a guard rail up for a few weeks, then took it down. She fell out of bed twice and then never again, and she calmed right down. She stopped thrashing around so much pretty quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just bumping this thread with a question rather than starting a new thread.

DS has been very unhappy about going in his cot during the day for his sleep (even though he's desperate for a sleep) so I'm wondering is this a sign he's ready to try a bed?
    He runs away from us, screaming and kicking when we tell him it's bed time.
    We move house next weekend so want to wait for him to settle in the new house first but looking for some tips on how we can help him transition smoothly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both my kids went through something similar and they would actually go to sleep on their fold out couch in their room (or on the floor with pillow and blanket) then I would transfer them until we got them a bed. I also introduced reading a story in their room which seemed to calm them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Purple Poppy. Unfortunately he's shocking when it comes to sleeping anywhere other than bed. He just goes until he falls at night pretty much. He just runs riot and won't settle so I'm not sure he will settle on his foldout lounge. He was always terrible at transferring when he was younger haha.
    I might try reading a book. See if it helps him settle.

I just told him he has 10 minutes and he's in bed and we will ready a book. He started smashing things into the tv unit while screaming

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds was very similar he has only just started to become easier to put to bed . It is very frustrating at times!
    One other thing that helps with ds is I dont mention bed or nap I just say lets get blankie and he will find it and I will take him to his room. He will still throw a tanty but it is in his room and not all over the house.
    Is he maybe ready to drop his day sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    My ds was very similar he has only just started to become easier to put to bed . It is very frustrating at times!
    One other thing that helps with ds is I dont mention bed or nap I just say lets get blankie and he will find it and I will take him to his room. He will still throw a tanty but it is in his room and not all over the house.
    Is he maybe ready to drop his day sleep?
    He used to be pretty easy going but in the last few weeks he's been horrible.

I might just not mention it and see what he does. He does it for nappy changes and everything. Pretty much if he doesn't want to do it then it shouldn't happen (how toddlerish!)

I don't really think he is. He's usually shattered by the time he goes to bed. That's why i thought maybe it was the cot he didn't want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Life with a toddler is all trial and error!
    Ds currently hates getting dressed will scream the house down and runs away if I try to put a jacket on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought I replied to this thread! Turns out... I didn't. Sorry!
    Toddlers really are dramatic! Oh we have that problem as well or he's throwing himself on the floor screaming.
    I bought him new shoes today, he's gone up a size (again haha) and he's there going 'no' the whole time I'm trying to try them on him. Like you are 2? You don't get s choice.

What signs would I be seeing if he didn't need his day sleep anymore? I'm really not ready for that lol. He can stuff around got a hour but zonks out after that and other days he's out like a light. I'm hoping I'm not forcing a day sleep if he doesn't want it. He's a feral if he doesn't sleep though lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest went into a toddler bed at 18months, just wanted to, then by 2 she was in a big bed with her sister.
    She is a good day napper, I give her lunch take her to bed, but music on and say goodnight (i never hang around and just close the door), when she first went into the beds she wondered out a bit, but i just put her back saying a firm "no its bed time", so she goes off well now.
    *at night this is a different story because my girls share a room so they like to chit chat! grrr lol*

My eldest at 2 1/2 was getting hard to get to sleep during the day, and when she did she would take hours to go to sleep at night and still be awake at 8/9pm. So i cut her day sleep, it took a few days for her to get used to and I had to be careful not to go in the car in the arvo, otherwise she would nod off.
    My youngest who turns 3 in october, however, is a big sleeper and loves to sleep for nearly 3 hours everyday so I doubt she will be ready to cut that day sleep any time soon.

Hope this helps

p.s both my girls were lovely from birth till around 18months, then went through a feral stage and the tantrums and all that, but i can safely say my eldest (who is nearly 5) came good just after her 3rd birthday, so im hoping my younger one does too. So there is hope!