+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't move him until he is ready. My DS never slept in a cot (he screamed in the cot, not the bassinet though...) so was always in a bed (we coslept then he got a queen mattress on the floor.

My DS moves heaps. I found that a toddler bed was way way way too small. My lucky kid got a double bed in his big boy room fo grow into. I find he wakes less with a bigger bed and DH/I can always sleep there if he is sick etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds is 3.5. He's never been a climber and is still in his cot. A bit embarrassing, I guess.

Just curious. Do people shut the bedroom door when their child has transitioned to a bed?

Ds has always slept with his door shut and I'm not sure how he'd go with it open (he's not night toilet trained yet)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    My ds is 3.5. He's never been a climber and is still in his cot. A bit embarrassing, I guess.

Just curious. Do people shut the bedroom door when their child has transitioned to a bed?

Ds has always slept with his door shut and I'm not sure how he'd go with it open (he's not night toilet trained yet)
    We have doors open in our house. Always have. I think its up to the individual/family whether they want door open or closed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (06-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

No. We close the doors while DH and I are awake but when we're going to bed all doors are opened. If one of my kids needs the toilet or gets up during the night for whatever reason I would hate for them to not be able to get out if the door was shut.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Most families I've nannied for didn't move to a bed until around 3.5, so to me it seems pretty normal.

We keep DS' door closed so that we don't disturb him while we are awake and also because I don't want our cats in his room while he's sleeping. I think we would still keep it closed but maybe just make sure it was only loosely pulled shut rather than actually fully latched once he's in a bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd was in cot til 3.5 and we only changed as we moved house and couldn't be asked putting the cot back together. My ds1 on the other hand was moved at 23 months as he climbed out of cot. I would be inclined to leave him in the cot until you see a reason to move, especially if he doesnt sleep straight up and down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone! I am leaning more towards just waiting. He's sleeping well and if he starts sleeping terribly I'll hate it lmao.

Like someone said.. Why rock the boat lol
    Now I'll need to convince Dp lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Thank you everyone! I am leaning more towards just waiting. He's sleeping well and if he starts sleeping terribly I'll hate it lmao.

Good decision I say!

I'm another who's child slept in a cot until he was about 3.5. Glad to see it's not so uncommon.

Thanks
    Reviews

Good idea. No point making a big change for him if he is happy in his cot.
    I think our transition to bed has been easier because we waited for the kids to show signs they were ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So dp and I have been thinking of moving DS to a toddler bed. He turned 2 last month. He's a really good sleeper (fingers crossed I haven't jinxed myself!) can sleep for 10-12 hours a night and day sleeps range from anywhere between 1 and 3 hours.

I'm hesitant. I think it's more because well he's my baby! But also because he's what we call a violent sleeper lol he uses pretty much every inch of his cot lol he takes his pillow and blanket with him. He goes from one side of it to the other in such a violent manner lol. I just worry that he will continually fall out of a bed. He bounces back from anything but obviously I don't want him to hurt himself. It is inevitable he will fall out at least once I'm sure. I just don't know if it really is time or are we setting ourselves up for failure?
    He's a very strong personality. That's my nice way of saying he can be a real pita some days lol he's got an attitude. Are we going to cause ourselves a whole lot of pain trying to do it yet?
    Will it have a negative approach if we try it and it doesn't really work out so put him back in the cot.

Thanks for getting through that! Lol
    He sounds like my DS1 who is now 4.5yrs old.

We solved the thrashing issue by putting a bed rail on. One side of the bed sits up along the wall and then you have the rail on the other side. He never fell out and slept very well. We found him in all sorts of positions all over the bed. After about 6 months we got rid of the rail and he still slept fine and didn't fall out we did put pillows and cushions on the floor just in case though.

Good luck!