+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Moving from cot to bed

So dp and I have been thinking of moving DS to a toddler bed. He turned 2 last month. He's a really good sleeper (fingers crossed I haven't jinxed myself!) can sleep for 10-12 hours a night and day sleeps range from anywhere between 1 and 3 hours.

I'm hesitant. I think it's more because well he's my baby! But also because he's what we call a violent sleeper lol he uses pretty much every inch of his cot lol he takes his pillow and blanket with him. He goes from one side of it to the other in such a violent manner lol. I just worry that he will continually fall out of a bed. He bounces back from anything but obviously I don't want him to hurt himself. It is inevitable he will fall out at least once I'm sure. I just don't know if it really is time or are we setting ourselves up for failure?
    He's a very strong personality. That's my nice way of saying he can be a real pita some days lol he's got an attitude. Are we going to cause ourselves a whole lot of pain trying to do it yet?
    Will it have a negative approach if we try it and it doesn't really work out so put him back in the cot.

Thanks for getting through that! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For my two I waited until they just didnt want to sleep in their cot anymore then got them a bed. This was around 2 when they just suddenly refused to sleep in their cot.
    I also bouggt the side rails from Target so they didnt fall out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If he uses every inch of his cot maybe you should consider a single or king single seeing as a toddler bed is the same size mattress as a cot.

Personally i waited till after 2.5 to move mine and they all went straight into king singles.

Is there a need to move him? Sounds like he sleeps well and isnt climbing out etc

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving from cot to bed

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    For my two I waited until they just didnt want to sleep in their cot anymore then got them a bed. This was around 2 when they just suddenly refused to sleep in their cot.
    I also bouggt the side rails from Target so they didnt fall out
    That's sort of where I was thinking. Just wondering if it will be harder at that point. I'm just not sure.

We have all the converters for our cot so was thinking of just saving money that way lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    If he uses every inch of his cot maybe you should consider a single or king single seeing as a toddler bed is the same size mattress as a cot.

Personally i waited till after 2.5 to move mine and they all went straight into king singles.

Is there a need to move him? Sounds like he sleeps well and isnt climbing out etc
    We did think about buying a new bed but was more just thinking of using the bits we have for his cot to save money.

There is no need to move him yet. We did think because he is doing so well is it a good time to try because he could hopefully fall back into a routine easily. He hasn't tried to climb out at all. Dp thought it would be better trying before he does try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    That's sort of where I was thinking. Just wondering if it will be harder at that point. I'm just not sure.

We have all the converters for our cot so was thinking of just saving money that way lol
    I havent found it hard as they were ready to move on to soemthing else so we got them a king single bed so dh or i can lay in it with them on those nights they cant sleep and they also picked their own quilt cover so they felt involved in the whole thing.
    Ds is only on night 2 of a big bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    I havent found it hard as they were ready to move on to soemthing else so we got them a king single bed so dh or i can lay in it with them on those nights they cant sleep and they also picked their own quilt cover so they felt involved in the whole thing.
    Ds is only on night 2 of a big bed
    That makes sense. Dp wants to try moving DS, I'm happy for him to stay in the cot but also happy to move him as well.
    That's a good idea actually. Just to help on those nights DS is struggling.

How is he going? I'd assume well lol
    Does he get out a lot?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wouldn't disturb a child who sleeps well.

I've got 3 kids and the transition has been a nightmare for 2 of them. My youngest is 3 and moved out of her cot about 4 weeks ago and it's been a long road. She was sleeping from 7/7:30 and waking from 7:30 even up to 8:30 some days but now I have to have her in bed at 7 and she is still awake at 8:30 some nights and awake at 6. Not enough sleep.

I would not even consider moving him yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I moved all 4 by 20 months but my kids are terrible sleepers and settling them at that age in a cot was a PITA. I personally love getting rid of the cot and once they're in a bed settling during the night becomes so much easier for me.

But yeah if they were good sleepers in the cot I might have felt differently. Only one had a difficult transition the rest were easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wasn't planning on moving DS until he was around 3, he's just turned 2 as well. He sleeps well and isn't bothered by going in his cot so why rock the boat? I also have no interest in a two year old being able to get out of bed in the middle of the night! Does he sleep with a pillow? I've found that since we have given DS a pillow he barely moves around his cot now because he stays on the pillow. Maybe start with that to see if that helps with his moving around in the cot before moving to a bed.