+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have ducted reverse cycle (9 vents = one in each of 4 bedrooms, 3 in main living/kitchen area and 2 in separate living room). It's zoned so we can turn rooms on/off. It costs a bucket to run so we try to limit use but our house (fully insulated walls and ceiling) is not much better than a tent thermally (lots of glass and raised up so a large underfloor space to build the heat or draughts up). In summer without air con on the house will get to 32 inside on hot days. In winter it can get down to 12 degrees inside. We are in Adelaide.
    We run the air con at 25 in summer and our threshold for turning it on is if the house hits 27 inside. We don't run it overnight unless it's roasting so only a few times a year. We do have ceiling fans in the bedrooms which we use.
    In winter we don't really use the ducted heating. We have a combustion heater which we use (we put the fire on if it's under 18 degrees inside) and in DDs room we have a small heater attached to a thermostat so it will come on if her room dips below 18 at night.
    I'd be interested to know how using multiple separate units compares to running one big unit like we have. Our air con is quite old (about 15 years) so I'm sure if we replaced it a new one would be more efficient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    None, I guess we're peasants? We have a fan for summer nights in Sydney.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Air con!!

None. We are on a farm in Gippsland, Victoria and we survive with just ceiling fans and awnings over the north facing windows. Then we open all the windows as soon as it's cooler outside. We survived a couple of 40 degree days and it's bearable. Aircon would be nice but I'm not fussed. Our ceilings are 3.6m high which I think helps.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Air con!!

In FNQ we had 6 split systems. One in each bedroom and a very large one for the main living area. There were many days when I walked out of the bedroom having had the air on all night and turned the living area on straight away (like 7am in the morning! But it was already 30+ degrees).

In Canberra we have ducted reverse cycle air. There are vents in all bedrooms, one in upstairs living area and 3 vents in the downstairs living area. Summer we have it on 21 degrees cooling (on timer to go off at 2am) and in winter it's on heating at 19 degrees but we switch it off before going to bed.

I don't think it's greedy if you can afford it and it keeps everyone comfortable. I know I can't sleep if the room is too hot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in SE Qld. We have 2 air con units - one in the main living area and one in the kids' bedroom (they share). There is one in our bedroom but it's ancient and useless. There's a ceiling fan right above our bed and we have a sliding door that we leave open so it's ok. On stinking hot days (most days this summer!) I've had moments of longing for one in our kitchen/dining/study nook area. Hasn't happened yet!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Air con!!

We have an evaporative system with 7 vents. One in each of the 4 bedrooms, 2 in the living / kitchen area and another in the sending living area.
    It's fairly cheap to run. I wouldn't be without it!! We are in Melbourne.