+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Air con!!

Just curious how many air conditioners you have... We are about to replace 3 and add a 4th. This is for 2 living areas and the master bedroom and the 4th is for a home office. I feel like this is alot! How many do you have and do you have any in your kids rooms?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    None!!! Agh, and we are in SE Qld, it's awful in summer. About to move into a house with ducted aircon though. I can't wait. There are vents in all rooms, including the kids rooms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 4. One big one in the living area and one in each of the bedrooms (us & 2 kids). Works perfectly for us, there is never a sleepless night in this house (Brisbane) due to being hot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    2 here one in main bed and one in living area. We have a portable for the kids room too there's been many a night where it's still 34 at midnight so can make it hard to get a good night sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to put ducted in but way to exy, Do you think 6 would be too many down the track if we ever decided to put 1 in each of the kids rooms?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    One in living area. Unless it's close to 50 degrees, we hardly use it as our house is old, double brick with very high ceilings and tiles throughout. It's always 10 degrees cooler inside our house but that means we absolutely freeze in winter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have 4. 2 in the large loung/dining/kitchen/playroom area. One in our room and one in DS1's room. By next summer we plan on putting 2 more in what will be DS2&DS3's rooms

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Currently 3. Ducted evaporative system throughout the whole house, and a reverse cycle split system in our bedroom and DD1's bedroom.
    We'll be changing over to reverse cycle ducted soon.

Having said that, installing air con is what my DH does for a living, so we're probably always going to have more than we *need*. And we do have a large house.

For us it's more practical and cost effective to have the splits in the bedrooms, so we don't have to run the full ducted system just for one or two zones. We'll need a 16kW unit though, so a smaller unit would use less power obviously.

However many units you have does also depend on the layout of your house, and the size of the units 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have just two. One in the main living/dinning/Kitchen area and one downstairs that does out master bedroom and large rumpus. There are none in the kids bedrooms. We have it in ours as we live in Qld and DH is a shift worker so sleeping soundly during the day in summer is a must.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In our old house..the one we owned. .we had three. One in lounge. .one in master and one upstairs for the landing/office etc.
    Currently we're renting and we have two. One downstairs and one upstairs in master. I wish we had ducted. Our daughter's room is hot. We're in qld. It's gross upstairs. We are bad and leave ours on all the time at the moment.

I did recently discover that the tear drop mode (it looks like that to me! ) is a humidity type thing. And it takes the stickiness out of the air and doesn't cost as much to run. I leave that on.