+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1st time on a plane with a 15 mo...tips?

Hi! We're thinking of travelling to Melbourne from Sydney next month. It'll be his first time....any suggestions to make this a good trip for us all?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just did Newcastle to Bundaberg with my DS who is 15 months. I practically breastfed him the whole time... his choice! I had food, toys, and books to entertain him. I also brought some lollies along - in case he needed to suck but didn't want to breastfeed or want his water. He was so good for the whole trip.
    I let him stand and climb all over me when the seatbelt sign was off. We sang songs quietly and I resorted to tickling near the end of the flight when he started to get cranky because he'd refused to nap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've flown with dd quite a few times (she's now 20 months old) and my number one tip is to book flights that coincide with nap time if at all possible. I've found that dd drifts off during take off and, if the flight is short enough, doesn't wake until we're back on the ground.

In case my sleep plan doesn't pan out I go to plan b and dig into my handbag of goodies! I make sure my handbag is packed with; a variety of toddler friendly snacks, a couple of wrapped book, stickers, and a couple of small toys. I find the stickers are particularly handy and peeling them off and sticking them on herself keeps her entertained for ages!

From a practical point of view, make sure there's any emergency outfit in your carry on too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Redcorset  (06-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1st time on a plane with a 15 mo...tips?

I fly 3-4hours at least once a month, by myself most times, with 3 kids under 6.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence to the previous OP with a flight so short, If ur able to, pick a flight where u can have bub sleeping in the car on the way to the airport and fully awake on the flight. Tired baby on plane = no fun for mum. But if it were a longer flight and Bub sleeps well then I'd always say take a nap time flight.

Take some snacks and spare clothing/jumper as planes can be cold, but don't overload because carrying a baby + heavy bag is annoying.

It's only a 1hour flight so you should be ok 😊

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (06-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, just thought I would add to this thread. I am a flight attendant ( have been for 15 years and seen it all, lol ).
    I agree with one of the above replies book your flights so it fits in with their nap time. Take lots of snacks with you as the meals on board are not always child / baby appropriate. Also take various activities as well.
    It's a personal preference but I would ask for the window seat. Window is a good distraction lots of things to see outside whilst taxi out to take off. Also ask for an infant belt from one of the crew members when you board. There is a good chance your little one may not seat in the seat if there is one spare or you are purchasing one for. As a 15month they will classed as an infant unless you purchase a seat for them.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took dd at 12mths on a short domestic flight. Mostly the excitement and interest about what is this flying metal box and all the ppl inside kept her interested. Other than that we had lots of small snacks on hand, books, drawings, and a small puzzle in a box. She also liked the water drawing pads - water pen that makes colours appear on the pages and I made a cheerio necklace. Messy- but similar to those candy necklaces - she could just sit and munch and play and enjoy the novelty.
    If all else fails - iPad with countless eps of Peppa and some large headphones..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our Bub thing was to make sure our son was pretty hungry before he got on the plane then he did a lot of eating and that made him full, happy and wanting to have a sleep or just lay on us and look at the iPad or a book or play with some small toys. I think we were also very lucky in that the people behind us played little games with him as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So in short, bring snacks, small toys or maybe stickers as entertainment, change of clothes. I wonder can I bring thermos flask on the plane? Should I request for anything for bub before the flight like seatbelts or they will provide it? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    They'll give you the belt. Good summary 😊 no idea about the thermos sorry. They should have hot water for tea and coffee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bring a thermos of warm milk and another with home made nuggets every time.

No prob on a domestic flight.