+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    With that info, I think I would have smiled sweetly, asked hubby to get a ride home with his parents kissed him goodbye and gone home.
    Yep, exactly this. No shelter? I would have been out of there as fast as possible. I'd be pretty cranky with DH at the end of the day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do the trees not provide some shade?

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Olives grow on trees - trees make shade.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Do the trees not provide some shade?
    It really depends on their size. Olive trees can be quite small yet produce a lot of fruit. So there may be no shade.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe I've watched too many movies, but I think particles in an olive harvest would be a great experience for little kids. Give your 4 year old a job to do, dress for the sun and muck in for a little while then take the kids inside for a rest and feed and water the workers.

Kids can get bored at anything but this sounds like a nice way to be part of wider family life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (06-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing I would be annoyed about is not being given the opportunity to come prepared. I have had things happen to me like this and I now know, even if DH or friend/family assure me that it isn't how the day will go, but history suggests it will go that way, I can pack accordingly.

So when the olive picking (fence repairing/stable mucking/whatever farm activity) begins I can go to the car and pull out everything I need to be comfortable and the kids safe and entertained. I've even had occassions where I'm throwing bikes, portacots and eskis into the car and DH is saying "you won't need any of that". Then on the way home he's saying "thank goodness you packed all that stuff or you and the kids would have been bored/injured/etc."

This way I get to be ****ed at him from the comfort of my sun shelter, sipping iced water and act smug on the way home as a bonus.

I did have plenty of occasions in the early days where I would end up exactly in your situation though and boy I would be ticked off. But I learned, if there was any form of farm visit or country event (races, fairs etc) involved, pack for a whole day and overnight at minimum!

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-03-2016),Albert01  (08-03-2016),CakeyMumma  (06-03-2016),Californication  (06-03-2016),cheeeeesecake  (06-03-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (06-03-2016),MsViking  (06-03-2016),PomPoms  (06-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-03-2016),rosey82  (06-03-2016),wobbleyhorse  (06-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    Do you live in Qld? Would you be comfortable for your little ones to be running wild in 36 degree heat between midday and 3pm?
    Actually I live in the Kimberley with the heat and humidity, much hotter than Queensland 😅 36 isn't hot! We are all used to the heat so not bothered by it, being an orchid, there would have been some shade so yes I would have been fine with it as would my boys have been. Today it was 42 and yep we were outside off and on all day 😉 Some shade with hats on and water... all good

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (06-03-2016),Radio  (07-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh FFS....olive trees don't cast much shade. There are no other temporary or permanent dwellings on the property, no shade. You don't think I would have considered that?

And, by the way, writing "all good "doesn't make it 'all good'.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-03-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-03-2016),CakeyMumma  (07-03-2016),rosey82  (06-03-2016),TheGooch  (06-03-2016)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    Oh FFS....olive trees don't cast much shade. There are no other temporary or permanent dwellings on the property, no shade. You don't think I would have considered that?

And, by the way, writing "all good "doesn't make it 'all good'.
    Ignore!
    Honestly you don't have to explain! You're not a moron Op. You know what's best for your family. What you had wasn't it. No matter what anyone else says. xxx

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The heat can be really hard when you aren't used to it, especially with kids. So i kinda understand. My in laws live in mid qld and if we're up there myself and my kid are honestly dying in the humidity and sweat, red faced and feeling awful when they all sit around with no fan or aircon and it doesn't bother them. I imagine they would be the same if we took them to the snow on a cold windy day (which doesn't bother me in the slightest) and prob wouldn't enjoy themselves.

Next time if it's going to be hot, maybe do a shorter visit with the kids.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Actually I live in the Kimberley with the heat and humidity, much hotter than Queensland ������ 36 isn't hot! We are all used to the heat so not bothered by it, being an orchid, there would have been some shade so yes I would have been fine with it as would my boys have been. Today it was 42 and yep we were outside off and on all day ������ Some shade with hats on and water... all good
    I think heat is relative to where you live and you acclimatise to your environment. I have spent most of my life living in the tropics where every day was 30+. I didn't even own a jumper. All the locals and I would absolutely freeze if it got to say 20.
    Now I live in Tasmania and have for the last 7 years. I now think that anything over 20 is a heat wave and I melt lol.